[SOLVED] How to update bios with no cpu?

Jun 19, 2020
A friend has offered to give me his i5 7600k but I would need a new motherboard for this cpu, been looking at a few cheap motherboards since I'm on a tight budget and the BioStar H110MDE seems like a good choice for everything that I need and very cheap.
This and almost all other mobos I've looked at seem to need a bios update to be able to actually use the 7th gen chips since i think they shipped for 6th gen?
I'm assuming it will be impossible to actually boot windows 10 without the bios update for the cpu so my question is if ill be able to fit the new mobo with the cpu or if ill actually need to update the bios before its possible to use the cpu and how i could go about this?
also cant use a cd since my dvd drive isnt working.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Get the cheapest 6th gen celeron (G39xx) you can find or maybe you have a friend who will come over with a 6th gen. Any 6th gen should do. Plus there is a possibility that the 7th gen will work enough to update the bios. Most h110 boards received their update for 7th gen support in 2016 & 17 - so I suspect Biostar just patched a bug rather then added support.

popatim

Titan
Since the bios that supports 7th gen came out 2 months after the board launched, I would hope they all have it since that is the only Bios update and was released 2 years ago.

You will not be able to overclock the CPU with an H110 board. You need a Z

Jun 19, 2020
Since the bios that supports 7th gen came out 2 months after the board launched, I would hope they all have it since that is the only Bios update and was released 2 years ago.

You will not be able to overclock the CPU with an H110 board. You need a Z
So was I wrong about needing to do a bios update at all to support the 7th gen processor? are almost all that have the 1151 socket going to work fine on first boot with that cpu?

Sorry you're going to have to ELI6 because I'm really lost when it comes to this stuff, thanks for the reply

popatim

Titan
The original shipping bios is dated March 2018, the only update for this motherbd is dated May 2018. So only 2 month worth of manufacturing passed before boards shipped with the updated bios... so I beleive the odds of getting an board that hasn't been would be low.

Whats scary is that there are no other updates to the board. None of the microcode fixes Intel released to patch spectre and meltdown will be in effect. If all you do is game then this might be a good thing, the patches slowed systems down.

Jun 19, 2020
The original shipping bios is dated March 2018, the only update for this motherbd is dated May 2018. So only 2 month worth of manufacturing passed before boards shipped with the updated bios... so I beleive the odds of getting an board that hasn't been would be low.

Whats scary is that there are no other updates to the board. None of the microcode fixes Intel released to patch spectre and meltdown will be in effect. If all you do is game then this might be a good thing, the patches slowed systems down.
oh okay thanks that makes sense, do you know what would be the best way around updating the bios if i did get unlucky and had one that wasnt already updated then?

Wolfshadw

Titan
On the off chance that your motherboard does NOT come with the updated BIOS, you would actually need to get a natively supported processor (6th Gen) and install that first. Then update the BIOS, shut down, and then install the 7th gen processor. Then you can install Windows, drivers, apps, games, etc...

However, as @popatim states, it's likely your board has been already updated.

-Wolf sends

popatim

Titan
Get the cheapest 6th gen celeron (G39xx) you can find or maybe you have a friend who will come over with a 6th gen. Any 6th gen should do. Plus there is a possibility that the 7th gen will work enough to update the bios. Most h110 boards received their update for 7th gen support in 2016 & 17 - so I suspect Biostar just patched a bug rather then added support.

Solution