Jun 4, 2023
Hi,
So I've seemed to get myself in an interesting situation here. A couple days ago I received a notification for a GPU driver update. As normal I didn't update in the moment as I was busy w/ something else. However, the next day attempting to boot up my PC. I ran into the issue where my monitor doesn't receive a single being that I assume because my GPU drivers are outdated. I tried a few different cables/cable types including HDMI/VGA/DVI as well as buying a new Display Port cable. I then attempted to plug in my DP cable to my Mobo to only find out that my CPU doesn't have IGPU (Ryzen 7 5800x). I was curious, should I buy a burner GPU to possibly launch up Windows 11 to update GPU drivers? If so, what GPU should I get for a system that has a Ryzen 7 5800x, DDR4 3600 RAM, 850w PSU? Is there another way around updating GPU drivers without having access to a monitor?
Any help/answers are greatly appreciated, thank you!

Are you certain that this unsolicited GPU driver notice is not malware?

Any graphics card will have a low res mode that runs without any drivers at all.
Look first to your monitor connections as well as your gpu power connections.

In the event that you have a bad graphics driver, try to run windows in safe mode(F8) which will not load any graphics drivers.

Reactions: PEnns
Jun 4, 2023
Outdated GPU driver is not causing your system to have no display output. What is your current GPU?
Current GPU is a 1070 Founders Edition. Though reading online it seemed that a couple other users have ran into the exact same issue I'm getting. However they've had a work around using a CPU IGPU...

Last edited:
In their infinite wisdom, Microsoft have disabled the F8 menu unless you go into an administrator Command Prompt and input:
bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

So the most straightforward way to get to choose safe mode or low-resolution VGA mode is to shut off the PC three times in a row while it's booting up

Jun 4, 2023
In their infinite wisdom, Microsoft have disabled the F8 menu unless you go into an administrator Command Prompt and input:

So the most straightforward way to get to choose safe mode or low-resolution VGA mode is to shut off the PC three times in a row while it's booting up
Interesting. While it's booting up into BIOS or into the No Single display? What's the best way to tell when I should power the system down again?

News to me.
I will have to try that method to see if it works for me before I actually need it.

It would have to be after any BIOS messages, when the screen turns black. If Windows fails to boot enough times, there will be a hidden option to a boot menu just like F8 used to provide.

It's under Troubleshoot -> Advanced Options -> Advanced Startup Options -> Startup Settings -> Restart. Once restarted from this selection, it will offer a boot menu where you can choose to boot into safe mode or low resolution mode

Reactions: Dino Nuggie