Question How to upgrade ssd on my laptop that has one ssd slot

carlosariza7459

Honorable
Feb 27, 2018
Hi, I own a HP Victus 15 with a 512 gb m2 ssd and I want to upgrade it to a 1000gb m2 ssd from Kingston. The problem is that the laptop only has one slot and I can’t have both ssds on at the same time. Is there any way to transfer or copy all my data from the smaller ssd to the other?

USAFRet

Titan
Do you have another drive with enough free space to hold the entirety of your current OS drive?
Not necessarily "512GB", but just the consumed space.

If so, easy.

----------------------------------
1x m.2 slot with an Image

Assuming you have another drive (any type of drive) with sufficient free space to hold the entirety of your current m.2 drive:

1. Download and install Macrium Reflect
  2. Run that, and create a Rescue CD or USB (you'll use this later). "Other Tasks". Create this on a small USB flash drive or DVD.
  3. In the Macrium client, create an Image to some other drive. External USB HDD, maybe. Select all partitions. This results in a file of xxxx.mrimage
  4. When done, power OFF.
  5. Swap the 2 drives
  6. Boot up from the Rescue USB you created earlier.
  7. Restore (on the toolbar), and tell it where the Image is that you created in step 3, and which drive to apply it to...the new m.2
  8. Go, and wait until it finishes.
  9. That's all...this should work.

Hi, I own a HP Victus 15 with a 512 gb m2 ssd and I want to upgrade it to a 1000gb m2 ssd from Kingston. The problem is that the laptop only has one slot and I can’t have both ssds on at the same time. Is there any way to transfer or copy all my data from the smaller ssd to the other?
A method is to get a usb m.2 enclosure.

Put the new ssd in the enclosure and clone the orig ssd to the new ssd.

Then replace the old ssd with the new ssd.