How to use a ssd as boot drive and a hd for storage ?

miguelcotaque

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010
hi i want to buy a new pc with a small ssd for windows and important programs /games and a hd for storage general stuff but how do you do this when you install windows i select the ssd and it install windows on it all right but the hd will appear at my pc already or i should make something else? , will the hd has all the windows folders on it like my documents pictures videos etc ? how do i do this ?
thanks

- Install the OS to the SSD, which will make it the "C" drive.
- Your HD will become the "D" drive
- Relocate your "My Documents" folder to the "D" drive by following this:
http://www.w7forums.com/change-location-my-documents-folder-t338.html
- When installing new applications, choose "custom install" to allow you to change the suggested folder from "C:\Somehwere" to "D:\Somewhere".
- Create a folder on the D-drive called "Downloads", and direct all your download to that folder.

You will want to format your SSD before putting the OS on it, and you will do that during the install.

If your other HD has data on it, you can just plug it in AFTER installing the OS. The data will be usable, but games, apps, etc will not run.

If your other HD is new, or if you do not want the data on it, plug it in BEFORE you install the OS on the SSD, and format it during the install.

miguelcotaque

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010

the hd & ssd will be new , thanks i just also saw that the ssd has to be on Ahci mode for thrim support

DustinC

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
Can you/ should you relocate "My Pictures", "Music" etc to the HDD so that it doesn't fill up the SSD

Also can't you just move the downloads folder to the new "D" drive also?

I'm curious because I'm building my own PC and am trying to do as much as I can myself.

TRENDING THREADS