[SOLVED] How to use AC97 front panel audio on a HD Audio motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 19, 2021
Hello! Recently I have decided to make a sleeper PC for the fun of it, but I've encountered an issue. The front panel audio does not work, and my assumption is it is to do with it being AC97 and not HD audio. Is there anyways to easily convert AC97 to HD Audio? Perhaps by swapping pins? I thank everyone in advance.

My case and my motherboard will be linked here

Reactions: rafi915
Solution
it should be possible to rewire it, when hd audio started to popout, cases had both ac97 and hdaudio wired together, so u could use any of them and mainboards did same thing ac97/hd audio in bios switch

here is how both connectors are connected
FP_audio_panel3.png

UH5kcad.png
it should be possible to rewire it, when hd audio started to popout, cases had both ac97 and hdaudio wired together, so u could use any of them and mainboards did same thing ac97/hd audio in bios switch

FP_audio_panel3.png

UH5kcad.png

Solution
Feb 19, 2021

FP_audio_panel3.png

UH5kcad.png
Oh thats actually very helpful thank you! But I'm still a little lost on how to change the AC97 to HD Audio. (Sorry, I'm a little new hear ;-; ) Is there anyway you could dumb it down for me? ;-; A million thanks

sure, that would be second picture
connector on left is hd audio
connector on right is ac97
missing pin is key (pin 8), at bottom is pin 1 (left),2(right) at top is pin 9(left),10(right)
wiring from mainboard to your connector:
pin 1 to pin 1 (no change)
pin 2 to pin 2 (no change)
pin 3 to pin 3 (no change)
pin 4 to pin 2 (connect them together)
pin 5 to pin 5
pin 6 to pin 5 (connect them together)
pin 7 not connected
pin 8 key (empty)
pin 9 to pin 9
pin 10 to pin 9 (connect them together)

once u do this, your sense ports will be closed and your PC will think something is connected there, so u will get no audio from back i/o, as your front panel doesnt have sense ports, u have to go to audio driver options (i assume realtek audio manager) and disable front panel detection there
since sense ports will not work, once u connect something in fron panel, u will have to manualy mute rear output/switch to headphones in audio driver settings (i assume realtek audio manager)

Last edited:
Reactions: rafi915
Feb 19, 2021
sure, that would be second picture
connector on left is hd audio
connector on right is ac97
missing pin is key (pin 8), at bottom is pin 1 (left),2(right) at top is pin 9(left),10(right)
wiring from mainboard to your connector:
pin 1 to pin 1 (no change)
pin 2 to pin 2 (no change)
pin 3 to pin 3 (no change)
pin 4 to pin 2 (connect them together)
pin 5 to pin 5
pin 6 to pin 5 (connect them together)
pin 7 not connected
pin 8 key (empty)
pin 9 to pin 9
pin 10 to pin 9 (connect them together)

once u do this, your sense ports will be closed and your PC will think something is connected there, so u will get no audio from back i/o, as your front panel doesnt have sense ports, u have to go to audio driver options (i assume realtek audio manager) and disable front panel detection there
since sense ports will not work, once u connect something in fron panel, u will have to manualy mute rear output/switch to headphones in audio driver settings (i assume realtek audio manager)
Oh that's great! Just one final question - how does one connect the wires together? Again, a million thanks

Oh that's great! Just one final question - how does one connect the wires together? Again, a million thanks
hmm example:

mainboard needs pin 9 while pin10 should be on mobo disconnected
u pull out pin 10 from from front pannel connector, cut both cables on pin9/10 and connect them together
so 2 wires from front panel will go into pin 9 on connector

repeat for pin5+6

for pin 2+4 u have only 1 cable from front panel, while mobo needs 2, cut cable, connect any wire to have 1 cable with 2 ends for pin2+pin4

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS