[SOLVED] How to wipe a drive with a cyclice redundency check error

Dec 31, 2019
Im trying to wipe a corrupted external hard drive but i cant seem to find any way to do it since every google search is more about recovery the data. I don' t particularity care about the data on the drive i mainly use it so i can move my steam library from pc to pc. anytime i try to use chkdsk on it it comes up with a cant check volume for direct access error. When i try to initialize the disk using disk manager i get the CRC error. Any ideas

Solution
well if it was corrupted and still physically functioned i was just gonna reinstall stuff on it but seeing as thats not feasible i guess its junk

If drive is to be junked, take it apart to get the magnet and the disk platters. Or let younger family members have all the fun. Might keep them busy for a while.....

The magnets are very strong and quite useful.

The platters are good for coasters, mirrors/reflectors (despite the hole in the middle), and can be used to ward off birds/squirrels from gardens.

Then recycle the rest of the drive.

popatim

Titan
Format the drive with the FULL format option enabled. The time this takes depends on the condition of the drive, ideally about 2.5hrs per 500GB (sata drive)
Then run CrystalDiskInfo and look for any 'raw data' greater then 0 for Reallocated Sectors(Id=05), End to End errors (B8) or Uncorectable Sectors (C6) or CRC errors (C7). If you find any, retire the drive or only use it for non-important things.

Ralston18

Titan
well if it was corrupted and still physically functioned i was just gonna reinstall stuff on it but seeing as thats not feasible i guess its junk

If drive is to be junked, take it apart to get the magnet and the disk platters. Or let younger family members have all the fun. Might keep them busy for a while.....

The magnets are very strong and quite useful.

The platters are good for coasters, mirrors/reflectors (despite the hole in the middle), and can be used to ward off birds/squirrels from gardens.

Then recycle the rest of the drive.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS