How Well Does The Elder Scrolls Online Run On Your PC?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

logainofhades

Titan
At least I know none of my machines will have problems running this, should I decide to play it. My rigs equipped with an HD 5850 will at least be capable of medium and maintain great fps. Even my GTS 450 equipped rig should do fine with the resolution it plays at. Looking at Anandtech's bench, it does well in Skyrim 1680 x 1050. That system is still stuck with a 1280x1024 monitor. The game was done right with regards to hardware requirements. People with i3, Phenom II X4, and faildozer rigs can go out and buy a GTX 750ti and still enjoy nice settings with great FPS. I would have liked to seen a Pentium G thrown in the mix just to see how the performance differs from just a pure dual core. I suspect, even a lowly Pentium G 3220 would do fine with this, though. I never did find the time to play the Beta, sadly.

It's a 2GB version, all the hardware is listed on page 3 of the review.

spookyman

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
I know the folks complaining about paying $15 a month make me laugh. What do you expect a handout? Guess what it takes money to manage servers and hire people to manage the game. Unless you think that is free then you have issues.I still pay SOE $15 a month for my Everquest account. Lets see if this game last half as long.

Zombie615

Honorable
Feb 9, 2014

I have no problem with paying the $15/month but I want to see results first. I want to see a few content updates come out an see if its worth playing this game in general. Regardless of rather or not its p2p or f2p

Tell that to League of Legends(Riot) and Guild Wars 2(NCsoft).

Soooo Guild Wars 2 has all you ask and you pay ~400$ for it ONCE.

Regular updates and major updates every few months with constant living story that change the landscape and world as these events happen in the world.

sjc1017

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
well, no one expects games for free, I don't mind paying a box-fee nor do I mind paying a subscription but couldn't the subscriptions be cheaper? Why not £4 per month if you buy 6 months or something like that? ESO is expensive to buy as well. I think, as the piece said, you can understand them wanting to make money back on launch which will be the time when most people will be prepared to purchase and pay for subscriptions, then modify the plan as they lose subscribers. What is interesting with WoW is they are clearly trying to sustain their profit by continuously scaling back the support. Once upon a time you got in-game GM support and if you called up you got through to someone. I called up blizzard a month or so ago and it refers you to their website.

soccerplayer88

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
I'll never understand why ZeniMax decided on an MMO. I think what people truly wanted was an Elder Scrolls game that had co-op so you could share your game world with friends. Or at least that is what I wanted. =P

chargeit

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012
Why no 1080p for GTX 780? Man, it sure is nice when you see a test system, and realize your system meets or beats it. =DLooks like my system would run the game with great at max (As expected). Still not getting it though, them splitting the Imperial race to some "up sale" package killed the game in my eyes. Thanks for the info, but it would be nice to put the 1080p 780 results up. You act like there is no game that it can't keep super high fps with at that res. Also, 90% of gamers out there use 1080p.

Doug Lord

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
I played multiple Beta's. This is not Elder Scrolls. I'm not a graphics over gameplay guy - but for the ES franchise I expect each new game to set the GFX bar impossibly high when it comes out. On Ultra on my 30" 2560 monitor this looks meeehhhh. Its also unplayable because I have 2x5870s which are capable of running Skyrim maxed out - but ESO doesn't do SLI. So it really looks dull. ES has never been known for combat/gameplay - so I won't complain about that. But the things I associate with ES are missing. Does this make me feel like I'm the hero or villain saving or pillaging the world? No! Does it have an epic main story, along with numerous long engaging side quest arcs? No! Do my actions effect the world in a meaningful way? No. Can I become the ultimate badass and lay waste to everything I want? No. Can I create custom spells and armor/weapons? No. Do you get wanderlust and simply decide to walk from point A to point B and see what you find? No. You have so many go here, get that, bring back quests, you pretty much just stare at the arrow on the mini map the whole time. The only thing that had redemption value was PvP and they even screwed that up. The PvP map is way to big and empty! This type of PvP tends to have a couple gankers running around killing people trying to do quests, and then 2 big parties fighting over a single control point. This map almost seems like they expect to have 3 or 4 assaults and defenses going on at the same time.

Fokissed

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
many thing odd and wrong in this article, gpu test has no 780 vs the 290x, and more people run high hz monitor in 1080p than that rare wide thing.the cpu part has amd 8350 that should be expected, but no i5 4670, and still you ppl run aa, pls do not use grafics blur that dont add any fidelety to image. like motionblur, antialiasing and the fucus distance blur thing.
Normal antialiasing techniques (MSAA and SSAA) actually increase the fidelity of the image by sampling each pixel multiple times to get a more accurate color and reduce shimmering.The newer, faster antialiasing methods (MLAA and FXAA) are a blurring type of antialiasing. These just blur jagged edges, still have shimmering, and make text hard to read.Motion blur and Depth of Field are harder to justify. Good implementations can be outstanding and immersive. Poor implementations can completely ruin a game.They seem to require very high FPS (100+) to work properly, they just feel to laggy at low FPS.

computerguy72

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
I've been playing elder scrolls online during the early access period and it is a fun game. Some minor down time but does have the skyrim feel to it. I just got high enough to do the pvp and it is very fun as well. I've played a lot of mmo's and this one is the most elaborate so far.

captain_jonno

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
I have a i7 4770k @ 4.6ghz and a gtx 690 overclocked. BUT its not the point. Well done IGN for speaking to the PC market with this article. Love it! Bring it on!

Fokissed

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
This new comment system is terrible. My quote didn't work and the newlines were deleted. I don't even know how to edit my comments anymore. (There used to be a link to the forums...)

Doug Lord

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
" My advice is do not listen to the negative people in regards to this game Most of them view the game with preconceived notions and are mostly butt hurt single player fanboys that didn't want them to make a MMO."Wow - so anyone that doesn't agree with you is a dearest comrade huh? I've paid to play a number of MMOs. WoW, LotrO, DnDO, SWTOR. I've also played every ES game since Arena. This does not set a new bar for graphics - not even for an MMO. That's expected from an MMO. This does not have a compelling story arc like LOTRO. Not even as good as SWTOR.Is it salvageable? I don't know. Could they really redo the whole story arc to make it like LOTRO? Can they let modders massively improve the GFX like in Skyrim? Can they make PvP global instead of just 1 sector like WoW? (The siege stuff can stay Cryodill only).

wikiwikiwhat

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
The PvP is awesome though. I know some people refer to its as from another game but I've only seen it in this game and it's fun. I'm running the 1080P R9 290X and its FPS caps at 100(I have a 144Hz monitor).

Status
Not open for further replies.