How Well Will Mass Effect 3 Run On Your PC?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
the game uses the same UT based engine as the rest of the series ... i doubt running it on any kind of modern gaming pc wil be that big on an issue at this point.

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
[citation][nom]Cleeve[/nom]Perhaps, but in your original post you complained about cutting the frames-over-time chart off at 60 FPS. There's no reason to have a chart that shows a combo achieving 200 FPS, and it certainly wouldn't show any info about micro-stuttering.
I never asked for 200fps tests.., all I asked for was to have the rest of the chart. Seriously, what is the point of cutting a chart in half? You like looking at charts that are cut in half missing half the data? Why not just show it? And yes, graphing out the FPS on a line graph can give you a clue about microstuttering. They actually used line graphs in the article on tomshardware using line graphs.[/citation]

I never asked for 200fps tests.., all I asked for was to have the rest of the chart. Seriously, what is the point of cutting a chart in half? You like looking at charts that are cut in half missing half the data? Why not just show it? And yes, graphing out the FPS on a line graph can give you a clue about microstuttering, if you know what to look for. They actually used line graphs in the article on tomshardware about microstuttering. And, exactly as I stated, this article does nothing for a gamer with who games at super high resolutions, you can't just say because it gets high FPS on mid range resolutions it's going to be fine at high resolutions. Thats why they benchmark games at high resolutions, some games, a lot of games actually, just act funny when they are set to higher resolutions. Thats one reason I even read articles on toms, so I get an idea of how games will run on a setup similar to mine, or if I plan to upgrade, to see how it performs on the latest hardware. And since higher resolution gaming is much more common then it was a few years ago, i'd assume that they would test it on higher end systems with higher resolutions. Honestly, if I wanted to play on a console, i'd just buy a console. o_o

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]upgrade_1977[/nom]Seriously, what is the point of cutting a chart in half?[/citation]

I explained it originally, no time to copy and paste so you're going to have to reread. :)

atminside

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
Like what some others have said here...I wont be buying it. I am getting really tired of buying console ports. Maybe it is my fault for building a 3k computer but I did so on the idea that will be developers making games that will give my rig a run for its money just like Crysis 1 did (not 2). Sadly after Crysis (1) it seems like every single developer are going to the console side. FPS are looking like COD and nothing new. Don't get me wrong, game play has never been an issue for me. I like a lot of console games but I think visuals and advanced graphics are also a major aspect to gaming. Sadly many devs are ignoring this aspect and a lot of consumers are just simply putting up with it. This mentality that many console and PC users have is what's enabling devs to make the games the way they do. By not buying their games,if enough people do the same, it sends a message to the developers that business as usual with their console ways have to change. Come on guys just how much longer are you willing to to pay for console games for machines that are already 7 years old? Don't you guys think it is time we get some refresh and leave this current mediocrity or are you guys just fine with the ways things are?

G

Am I the ONLY one who knows about the video config utility that is included on the START menu? You know, the one that lets you adjust like 10 different video options? This entire article was done wrong...don't believe me?

Start Menu-->All Programs-->Mass Effect 3 Demo-->Configuration

You can control: Anti-Aliasing, Motion Blur, Dynamic Shadows, Number of Cinematic Lights, Spherical Harmonic Lighting and Anisotropic Filtering.

It would be interesting to see this article redone with these settings more fully explored...but I can understand if that is a lot of work Tom's thought was behind it.

G

If its origin only I wont be buying it. I have Origin installed [for BF3] and it just a crappy piece of software. I wont be purchasing anything from it [BF3 was store bought] and wont be buying any games which require it. No offline singleplayer anyone? Come on EA - get with the times. If we want to pirate your games we will, make it easier for paying customers or lose to Valve.

twelch82

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
I don't think I'm a fan of the "three different ways to play the game" setup. Likely the game was tailored to one of those, and the others are incomplete.

What was the intended way to play? RPG?

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]bak0n[/nom]I'd be really shocked if there are many people out there running Intel 2500k's with geforce 220's or radeon 6450's.[/citation]
Some people run 2500K with its built-in GPU. Not everyone buys a CPU for games.

LongpastPNR

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
EA Games and Origins are White Collar twisted ! It is really to bad being ME1 was such a great tail and BioWare was once great but is now but a glimmer of it's past glory. I will never support EA again after what happend with there Steam partnership and Origins HDD mining is just going way to far.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]Some people run 2500K with its built-in GPU. Not everyone buys a CPU for games.[/citation]

Then they won't be playing the game. People who get such a strong CPU without a good GPU are most likely doing "professional work" and have no time for gaming.

@everyone who won't buy ME3: suit yourself. You're not true Mass Effect fans, that's all. And the only problem Origin has right now is language restrictions, which doesn't let some of my friends in Russia to buy the game in English. No worries, though, they'll be pirating it along with all the DLCs until EA can't figure their $h!t out and stop enforcing these ridiculous restrictions (they DO actually want to buy it, mind you, but EA won't even let them!)

[citation][nom]twelch82[/nom]I don't think I'm a fan of the "three different ways to play the game" setup. Likely the game was tailored to one of those, and the others are incomplete.What was the intended way to play? RPG?[/citation]

You should've followed the news about the game. Story mode will have less combat difficulty and full dialogue control; shooter mode will have mostly automated dialogue responses and elevated combat difficulty and RPG will have manual control of both dialogues and combat difficulty, like in ME1/2. Of course, that's the only mode that Mass Effect players need. The other two are for the "newcomers", to whom BioWare is trying to appeal too much, sadly, probably rendering some of the imported decisions from ME1/2 useless just so that the new players who didn't play the previous games don't get ripped off.

LongpastPNR

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom] "which doesn't let some of my friends in Russia to buy the game in English. No worries, though, they'll be pirating it along with all the DLCs until EA can't figure their $h!t out and stop enforcing these ridiculous restrictions (they DO actually want to buy it, mind you, but EA won't even let them!)" Some how I don't tink they will be getting online with some muti player action LOL and Orgins has much bigger problems than you can fathom if you don't already understand whats going on so do you.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
[citation][nom]maxinexus[/nom]Would love to see how AMD FX CPUs perform in MS3. Any way you can update the CPU line up?Thanks[/citation]
They said their FX rig blew up in the article. I would expect it to be nearly the same as the Phenom II though, depending on the game the FX is either slightly ahead or slightly behind the PHII but not by much.

jmvanderleeuw

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
The Console Port of Mass Effect 3 on the PC and other things that make me want to get eaten by a Walrus...

I enjoyed Mass Effect on the X-box, so I downloaded the Mass Effect 3 Demo and played it for a bit. Now, by "a bit" I mean I played it for 20 excruciating minutes and decided it was one of the worst console-ported games I have ever had the gross displeasure to install on my PC in my entire life. It made Duke Nukem Forever look good.

I'm sure it has a wonderful storyline and I'm relatively certain that on the console that this game was meant to be played on the wonderfully linear nature of the game will lead you down the garden path of a truly entertaining gaming experience, but not on a PC.

However, I had wasted all that bandwidth, so I forced myself to play some more - not unlike the way that my parents forced me to eat horrible foods I didn't like when I was a child. Predictably, it had the same results; playing "some more" served only to reinforce my initial evaluations that this vomitous mass of badly implemented gui, astonishingly poor controls and rock-stupid AI should never be played on my PC again. Ever.

Nevereverever.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
I just bought the game, and I'm not impressed with graphics, at all! The only settings you get are antialiasing and dynamic shadows. I hope the story will be worth it, because if not, I'm not buying EA games ever again!!!!

update: There's voice lag, during conversation. Happens with Corsair 1500 headset and X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro.

burtzz

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
It may help to know on which part off the demo they did this benchmark.

I got an overclocked HD6970 and a 2600k.

With max settings @ 1920x1080 and including forced 4xMSAA on AMD CCC. Just like the review

I get around 55fps at the begging of the single player, when you are on top of the building, while looking at the reapers ship, city and destruction around.

Well thats the minimum fps value for a hd6950 on this benchmark.
Doesn't make sense.

So, is there something wrong with my card? is this review wrong? or simply they did this benchmark on a less graphic demanding area??

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

Well, the 6970 and 6950 are for the most part, pretty close.

And of course there are a number of variables that could be involved between this site's benchmark and the performance you are getting; far too many to factor in and count, let alone deduce with any degree of accuracy that something is wrong with your card's performance; there is no evidence whatsoever that anything is wrong with you card.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]joet79[/nom]i don't have mass effect 3 demo under all programs.... i installed via Origin though running windows 7 64b.[/citation]

Go to the folder where Origin install ME3 and run the configuration utility.

Bilfred

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]burtzz[/nom]It may help to know on which part off the demo they did this benchmark.I got an overclocked HD6970 and a 2600k.With max settings @ 1920x1080 and including forced 4xMSAA on AMD CCC. Just like the reviewI get around 55fps at the begging of the single player, when you are on top of the building, while looking at the reapers ship, city and destruction around.Well thats the minimum fps value for a hd6950 on this benchmark.Doesn't make sense.So, is there something wrong with my card? is this review wrong? or simply they did this benchmark on a less graphic demanding area??[/citation]

We benchmarked the first 100 seconds starting with leaving the windows on top of the building.

I wish I could help more, but its hard to diagnose what your issue is from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.