How Windows 10 determines the name of the computer?

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Hi, after installing Windows 10 Professional version, a name was assigned to the PC automatically. How Windows determines the name? What kind of rules does it follow?

Is it advisable to have all capital letters and also include symbols such as underscore or hyphen? For example, DESKTOP-ORANGE?

Is the computer name part of the pathname of files in the file system?

Solution
These are all really good questions and I can't finds an answer to any of them. If there is a method, its arcane and not widely known.

I don't know how windows works out what to call PC.

Naming Rules for Computers on a Peer-to-Peer Windows Network
Ensure your computers are named appropriately according to the following rules:

- No two computers can possess the same computer name. Ensure all computer names are unique.
- Each computer name should be no longer than 15 characters.
- Ensure no computer name contains spaces. Old versions of Windows ((Windows ME and earlier) do not recognize computers that have space characters in their names.
- Avoid special characters in computer names. Do not use any of these characters when naming...

Colif

Win 11 Master
These are all really good questions and I can't finds an answer to any of them. If there is a method, its arcane and not widely known.

I don't know how windows works out what to call PC.

Naming Rules for Computers on a Peer-to-Peer Windows Network
Ensure your computers are named appropriately according to the following rules:

- No two computers can possess the same computer name. Ensure all computer names are unique.
- Each computer name should be no longer than 15 characters.
- Ensure no computer name contains spaces. Old versions of Windows ((Windows ME and earlier) do not recognize computers that have space characters in their names.
- Avoid special characters in computer names. Do not use any of these characters when naming Windows computers: / \ * , . " @
- Avoid using lowercase letters in a computer name whenever possible. On Windows Vista, the case of letters (upper or lower) is ignored. Older versions of Microsoft Windows, however, treat computer names as case sensitive. Entering computer names in all uppercase is recommended to avoid possible name conflicts that could prevent Windows computers from identifying each other.

https://www.lifewire.com/naming-rules-on-windows-networks-818238

Though this is fairly old based on fact the operating systems listed in quote and page only shows how to chang name in Win 7, XP or Windows 2000.

I don't know if name is listed in any file paths. If it is, I am not sure where.

Solution

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017

Thanks.

Are hyphen and underscore conisder to be special characters?

By no two computers be of the same name. It means on the same home network? Since there are so many computers in the world, it is unavoidable to have the same name with some of them.