HP 1022n printer won't stop printing

Status
Not open for further replies.

whit80

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007
Installed Windows 7 on one of our PC's today and when I went to set up network printing, the HP 1022n printer I was printing to kept printing out the same job over and over again. If I cancelled the job, it still kept printing, and I had to power off the printer to finally stop it. I've tried uninstalling the driver in Windows 7 and reinstalling it, but it keeps happening. I have other Windows 7 systems using this printer on the network with no problems. Any ideas? Thanks.

_gusman_

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011

Having the same issue - no fix yet. I'll keep trying to fix it and will let you know if I crack it -AM-

amlothi

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
Having the same problem here. However, it's only 1 new PC that was added to the network that has this problem. Other computers can print to the 1022n just fine. The other computers are a mix of Win7 and Win XP, the computer that causes infinite printing of a document is Win7.

Using services.msc to stop the printing is fine - but we already know we can stop the printing (turn the printer off and cancel the job).

Does anyone know how to FIX the problem so that it doesn't occur in the first place?

amlothi

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
I have been to HP.com

The printer has an official driver listed for Windows 7.

I have tried reinstalling that driver. It doesn't fix the issue.

HP tech support will not accept my question because the printer is "out of warranty".

I have HP. It wasn't my choice to buy this printer for our office. Now we are stuck with a printer that has problems whenever we upgrade to Windows 7 and HP won't admit that their driver is a piece of crap or help to fix the problem.

amlothi

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
I have been to HP.com. When I enter the product name and number I am refused support because the warranty has expired.

The help materials there do not address the problem I am having with the same document being repeatedly printed infinite times. However, on the support forum there are several other people with different problems due to the driver, like not being able to print PDFs, or crashing when printing.

It is clear that the driver is faulty in some way. No solution is posted on the forums there or in the support materials.

mraj

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011

Did you ever find a fix to this? We are in the same scenario. Installed Win7 laptop in a mixed environment of Win 7 PCs (which are printing fine) and XPs. Have already updated firmware to latest. Have reinstalled several times, even using a universal driver. Stays in continuous print unless disconnect printer from network and power printer down.

mraj

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011

Did you ever find a fix to this? We are in the same scenario. Installed Win7 laptop in a mixed environment of Win 7 PCs (which are printing fine) and XPs. Have already updated firmware to latest. Have reinstalled several times, even using a universal driver. Stays in continuous print unless disconnect printer from network and power printer down.

kjuric

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
Solution !!!

First of all, delete all drivers (mark any printer, in toolbar above choose Prit Server Properties - Drivers, and remove any driver associated with HP 1022n....

Download HP LaserJet Hostbased Plug and Play Basic Driver, dated 2009-11-05 (older of 2 proposed), size 4,62 MB from:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4063&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=439323#N164

UnZip it to a folder of choice..

In "Devices and Printers", choose "Add New Printer" and install LOCAL printer with new printer port, type Standard TCP/IP, and unmark "Automatically search for drivers", and point to unziped folder, chose 1022n model (newest HP driver assigns 1020 series model)...

Right click on HP 1022n, choose "Printer Properties", under "Ports" tab, just bellow table of all ports on your PC, there is checkbox "Enable two-way communication" and UNMARK it...

that's all, multiple copies printing works OK, range printing works OK...

hcornea

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011

It is this last bit that fixes a working installation to stop printing ad nauseaum. Thankyou!!

FWIW .. you can achieve a similar result, simply by using Windows Update to search for other drivers.

You don't need to download the HP driver package. The Deskjet 1020 Driver seems to work just fine.

Davidhs

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Thank you hcomea,
As you say, it seems to be disabling the two-way communication option that does the trick.
I was able to just alter that setting with the already installed misbehaving driver and it now works correctly - just a single copy is printed.
This problem has existed for some time and I avoided facing up to it until a recent laptop upgrade made it acute.

slickawolf

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011

Yes the last step to disable Two-way communication resolved this issue for me as well.

Thanks all!

Ragnor

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011
Just had the same problem, thanks for posting this fix.

The newer HP driver with the ports > bi directional printing unticked fixed the problem for us.

If you're ever in Newmarket, Auckland, New Zealand I will buy you a beer!

Souledancer

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
This worked for me too, thanks. How did you ever guess to try this? Doesn't seem obvious to me, was it desperate brute force trying every option?

I also offer a beer if you visit Munich ;-)

Thilac

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
Hello all,

Also many thanks from Belgium. I've been trying to solve this problem for a few days and I found this simple and efficient solution : just uncheck that little checkbox!!!
My posts on the HP forum didn't help to fix the problem that appeared with the last windows update last week. Until then, I never experienced any problem.

carpenterminator

Honorable
Mar 21, 2013
And it works in Texas too! No surprise, in a network environment you have to un-check the bi-directional box on the PC that spawned the original never-ending print job (and on the rest to ensure the bug never manifests again).

x3po

Honorable
May 13, 2013
that fix didn't work on my hp 1022 printer (network attached to an Airties 4452, 4-port router with USB printer sharing port) :(
I have no problem in sharing other printers on my router's USB port, just this HP 1022. I have almost tried all drivers on the internet including HP's original drivers and microsoft's update printers but no luck! HP 1022's driver is really faulty to use with a windows 7 machine. I am sending print out to hp 1022 from my laptop (windows 7 32bt), it prints the page but it doesn't stop printing and keeps printing the same page till it wastes all blank pages on the printer tray!!
I hate HP !!! Grrr...
I have also HP 2550 colorjet printer and it doesn't work with windows 7 (32 bit and 64 bit) machines either. Its driver on hp.com and microsoft's update driver for windows 7 is faulty either. for hp 2550 driver problem, I have found a solution, when you install "hp 2700" driver (microsoft version) for hp 2550, it works well :)
I am really tired of HP's printing problems so I have decided not to buy another HP printer from now on, I will probably choose Xerox or OKI printers, they are even working without any problem with windows 7 machines when they are attached as a network printer. And their toner prices are pretty economic according to HP's!!!

Daniel Mackey

Honorable
May 21, 2013
Thank you to everyone who posted with solutions. Here is what I did to get my 1022N (network printer) to work with Windows 7 32bit.
1. I downloaded the driver from HP's site for my version on win7
2. Follow the instructions for installing a local printer (even though this is a network printer)
3. Uncheck the "Enable Bidirectional support" check box in printer properties on the Ports tab.
4. Print a test page and verify that it only prints one copy, and the one copy is correct

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.