Question HP all in one 24 xa-0076 / motherboard: L20486-608 won’t turn on

Sep 2, 2023
All in one computer won’t turn on

Please don’t recommend a professional as I can’t afford one but do have a separate computer that I can use if this one dies on me. I’m willing to risk my own mistakes rather than spend money for someone else to try and figure this out. Can someone help me? I’m trying to figure out why this computer won’t power on at all when it just powered on yesterday absolutely fine.

I’ve switched out the ac adapter for a known working one. Still not working

I’ve tried changing power sources and using a different power outlet. Not working.

I would have thought something with BIOS since I did a bios update before this happened but it’s not even getting any power light regardless of posting or not. There was no surge or any power outage. It just stopped working. I even tried removing the CMOS battery and it still didn’t work. (A little bit confused on the jumper shorting since the motherboard pins are not labeled.

I looked for bulging capacitors but don’t see any.

I’m not an electrical engineer but know very basic electrical theory.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Here’s the link to my post with the pictures:

Dave8671

Distinguished
HI

First, the CMOS battery will not be the cause of this. The CMOS keeps the bios settings when the system is turned off. but since you took it out may need to have the bios defaults reset. but that is not the issue.

When there is no booting up to the desktop this is one of two possible hardware issues.

1 power supply failure

2 Motherboard failure

The power supply will be the cheaper one to try first.

Power supply link

The motherboard will be the most expensive if this the cause close to $300 for a new one on eBay oh and the seller only has one left so he claims.

Dave8671

Distinguished
This is food for thought only. I build my systems and I do not like these all in one systems yes they take up less space. though the have no upgrade options at all for the future. I do not know how much that system was and I can guess most likely. You may not like this type of case but it is a case that you could pop in new hardware once it fails. I prepared this build for a friend and this is what I call a office PC.

Office PC