HP Bringing Back Windows 7 'By Popular Demand'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dax corrin

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
If I want t touch screen, I'll get a tablet... I like my desktop the way it is, and I'll avoid Win8.x as long as I can. Maybe I'm an old dog that doesn't want to learn a new trick. and Hakesterman, it's "moot point" not "mute point"

johnsaar2005

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2013
this is stupid just because consumers are to lazy to learn something new or accept change. windows 7 doesn't support trim for SCSI devices like PCI express solid state drives, it doesnt optimize for SSD drives like windows 8, it shuts down and starts up slower than windows 8 especially with mechanical drives, windows 8 utilizes multicore processors better especially with AMD. there are tons of benefits and improvements if you dont like the UI change it with 3rd party applications or you can not use the Metro interface at all but the benefits out weigh the cons. sticking with older OS's causes stagnation just like keeping XP for close to 15 years, working in enterprise I have seen this effect first hand. I remember companies using windows XP with SSD's and then wondering why their second gen SSD's are failing after a year or two of use. Duh no trim support for garbage collection! my point is going backwards is never good thing especially when its only justified because of a UI thats not that difficult to learn.

red77star

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
No, you cannot make Windows 8.1 to look and feel like Windows 7. SSD does not run any faster under Windows 8 than Windows 7 infact my x25-M cannot be trimmed under Windows 8 (Intel doesn't support it, but i can trim it under Windows 7). Of course it is not the case for every drive. I compared Windows 7 to Windows 8...not a single performance improvement. People should stop writing bullshit...

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
I just wish more comment systems would incorporate block features like that otherwise horrible Facebook comment system. Then you could block liars like red77star with the click of a button and never, ever, ever have to read his utter nonsense again. :)

So many ignorant comments on this topic. This is the reason software evolution goes so horribly slow. No one wants to upgrade, because they're 'fine' or 'satisfied' with their current OS. Windows 8.1 was a great upgrade for me, it's much faster and the new layout makes it much easier to navigate around. I also enjoy being able to run phone and tablet apps on my laptop (also got it installed on my desktop), without needing to install all sorts of compatability software. The speed and other features such as anti virus (even though it's not top notch), easier reinstall of OS etc. means a lot to the average Joe, as it makes it much easier to fix or maintain a 'healthy' PC.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I think this is a good move. More choice the better. Im looking into getting a new laptop for college and I just prefer less hassle there is with Win7 machines on a laptop. I much less prefer messing with 3rd party apps to change UIs. But thats just my personal preference. If they have a Win7 laptop with a new APU, then I probably go with HP this time.

johnsaar2005

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2013

You need to improve your reading comprehension, no where in my statement does it say anything about SSD's being made faster under Windows 8 just mechanical drives. I said it starts up and shuts down faster which is not always determined by read/writes or IOP's but also OS optimization. Garbage collection is controlled by the SSD controller and trim, one without the other is a problem they work better together and put less stress on the SSD controller. Windows 8 optimizes SSD's Google what this does oh and Windows 7 does not support this feature just defraging for mechanical drives. Unmap trim for SCSI devices is for PCI express SSD's and Windows 7 doesn't support it. You can make windows 8.1 look just like windows 7 with free and paid 3rd party apps Google it. As for your personal performance benchmarks I can't speak for those, but there are plenty of benchmarks online that say different. Oh and AMD 8 core architecture had issues with Windows 7 when it first came out Google it they have fixed it I'm sure. Also AMD has optimized it's drivers for 8.1 it's proven better APU performance on Windows 8 compared to 7. you need to do some research regarding your own bullshit.

D

Deleted member 1353997

I don't think this'll help. People don't buy new PCs because of the OS running on it; they buy new PCs because they need (a new) one... and frankly, if you've still got a Core 2 Duo, you won't be needing a new PC for a loooong time, unless you want to play the newest AAA games, which most people play on consoles anyways.

Just because the fact that people hate Windows 8 and the fact that PCs currently don't sell too well coincide, doesn't mean they're actually related.
Still, if HP thinks Windows 7 will help boost their sales, they're welcome to try. I'm definitely curious to see the results.

win 8.1 sux especially when you experience the black screen of death. Great move by hp.
But Windows 98, XP, Vista, 7 and 8 don't suck when you experience the blue screen of death?

You got a problem with black?

G

Newer is not always better. Windows ME, Windows Vista, Windows 8. We can only cross our fingers for Windows 9, but at least Windows 7 is good to 2020.

zloginet

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008
this is stupid just because consumers are to lazy to learn something new or accept change. windows 7 doesn't support trim for SCSI devices like PCI express solid state drives, it doesnt optimize for SSD drives like windows 8, it shuts down and starts up slower than windows 8 especially with mechanical drives, windows 8 utilizes multicore processors better especially with AMD. there are tons of benefits and improvements if you dont like the UI change it with 3rd party applications or you can not use the Metro interface at all but the benefits out weigh the cons. sticking with older OS's causes stagnation just like keeping XP for close to 15 years, working in enterprise I have seen this effect first hand. I remember companies using windows XP with SSD's and then wondering why their second gen SSD's are failing after a year or two of use. Duh no trim support for garbage collection! my point is going backwards is never good thing especially when its only justified because of a UI thats not that difficult to learn.
The way wrote that up worries me. You work in "Enterprise"? I can't even finish replying. Forget it.

FFH

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013
I think HP or dell also did this when Vista was released. They offered XP laptops and desktops. It's a good option for those that don't want to build their own computer.

Good to see a company listening to their customers, between Win 7 and Win 8 there's practically no performance gaining at all (it was like 2% according to a review from tom's) so in the end it falls down to personal taste, in my case for a desktop I prefer the style of Win7, and for touch devices Android and iOS feel much better than microsoft offer.

tomc100

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
Windows 8 is an abomination and the idiot or idiots who designed it should be fired. There is not a single company or business that is using that retarded OS. Those morons at M$ wanted to push that stupid Metro UI to sell apps and get people use to that layout for their xbox console. It's not efficient nor appropriate for businesses and only a stupid fk would think so.

reng2014

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014
Small selection, yes, but they do cover all the bases: 1) entry-level desktop; 2) solid mid-range desktop; 3) entry-level laptop; 4) solid mid-range laptop; 5) pretty respectable gaming rig. It should satisfy most buyers looking for a Windows 7 machine.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Basically, in a meeting for flagging sales, someone had the bright idea to push Windows 7, to drop the price, in an effort to increase sales and word of mouth.It's working as this article will now spread across the web.Marketing sucks.

jacobian

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014
Why should we care that Windows 8 boots faster? This is so inconsequential. For example, my Windows 7 laptop gets rebooted only to install Microsoft Windows updates, so maybe once a month. My desktops also normally go to sleep or get turned off for the night. Windows 7 already boots fast enough on modern hardware. And besides, if Microsoft thinks that faster boot and shutdown is a great feature of Windows 8, perhaps they should have made it easier to find the shutdown function in its GUI? As a power user, I may go with Windows 8 if I have to, but to recommend it to my friends and relatives? Never.

The fact that you can buy a 3rd party utility to make the Windows 8 desktop palatable is not an excuse for this OS. And the desktop still looks uglier compared to 7. Yes, hardware support is becoming an issue under Win 7 with new hardware, but it is nice to know that there are still vendors actively building Windows 7 compatible hardware configurations.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
HP should start offing their special order products OS free at a discount of whatever the cost of a Windows license is to them. Let us save $50 and install our Linux distro of choice.

Saying 8 boots faster or supports Trim is just Microsoft's marketing department trying to convince people that shelling out $100 or more for an OS that does nothing better is worth it.

I find it hilarious that Microsoft refuses to offer kernel improvements and additional features to operating systems that it supposedly still supports (Win 7). It's all about holding out features so people have to upgrade. No other operating system works this way.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
If customers keep Win7 alive like a new XP Microsoft will have to delay their plans to sever "legacy" app support. Not that I dislike Win8.1 (love it on my tablet) but whenever I'm doing something serious thoughts like skynet and NSA come to my mind and then I'm compelled to switch back to my Win7 PC with my firewall software.

Status
Not open for further replies.