HP CEO Says Intel and Microsoft Turning Into Competitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

threehosts

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
It makes sense. Then Microsoft will be more and more like Apple and an open-source operating system such as Linux will have the same role that Windows has today.

g-unit1111

Titan
I can't feel too sorry for HP in this. They had a truly excellent product with Web OS but they did nothing to further its' development or even market it to the right people. Web OS could have truly been a serious competitor to iOS and Android - it had everything going for it, included Flash support, and would have been a hit with IT people. All they did was throw it away.

monsta

Splendid
I agree with G Unit , WebOS had a lot going for it , HP did not have any faith in its own product and did not want to take a risk, they surrendered too quickly when WebOS had a lot of potential to be a competitor.
Now HP is left with having to go Android, which is not a bad thing, but they had their own and they screwed it up.

KenTX

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013
It's a grand irony really. If Microsoft would just stick with x86, kill retarded 'RT' and keep software development open like it is on the desktop, they could, with the help of Intel and low power x86...crush the competition using their not so dead 'legacy desktop' demographic. Imagine if you will.... an open Microsoft Windows across all x86 devices...I'd be all over it. Instead? Microsoft wants to be just like Apple who with the help of 'mind share' has been able to shoe horn a sizable demographic into their little walled control freak garden where they can abuse the liberties of consumers and software developers alike. (I.e.. now charging developers 30% for in app purchases). Microsoft -may- be able to do this as well but I don't think they will like the margins and what they will be giving up. Personally, I would like ARM to just die a quick a painful death and if MS doesn't change the direction they are going, I'll probably be sharing that sentiment towards them as well.

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
As many times as HP used to be on top of consumer demand, they've missed the entire tablet run. Funny, because when they killed the project and liquidated them, they were in huge demand.

The boardroom shenanigans at HP had them distracted apparently, the company's seemed to just languish since the Compaq deal and Carly shutting down so many domestic design labs.

g-unit1111

Titan

Oh I know, I bought a Web OS tablet when HP had their fire sale. I've used it a lot in comparison to my iPad. I really like the multitasking features of Web OS where it could run tons of applications side by side compared to what iOS and Android could run side by side. It just sickens me - HP bought Palm, had a great product with Web OS, and then did absolutely nothing with it. Palm should have refused HP's offer and then gone and developed Web OS on its' own.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
ok back on topic. I don't think MS wanted to compete with Intel. I think it has become exasperated..... How long has Intel been promising a viable mobile chip? Many years. Yet it still doesn't even have a roadmap for when a really competitive chip with decent graphics might become available. I know many will wail about the atom and how it has been put into a handful of tablets... but come on... let's be realistic here.

sonofliberty08

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009

i'll get Lenovo or ASUS instead of HP and their Compaq

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Oh, HP, never willing to admit the truth. You know what's a REAL problem? You, HP. That's right. Every time someone asks me to recommend a laptop, my first sentence is "Do not buy HP". Their products are cheap underperforming poorly built ugly garbage. The ONLY two decent products is their printers and an HP Folio 13'' ultrabook (but even THAT they messed up by putting a lame "clickpad" that annoys me so on MacBooks!). All other HP laptops I worked with are disgusting. Don't blame Intel or MS for your failure. The latter screwed up a lot but it has nothing to do with you. HP used to be insanely popular back in PDA days, they had best value for money and quality, my HP PDA *still* works, even after not using it for years. Where is that innovation now? Do we see unique, outstanding in ANY way products from HP? No we don't. And that's why the company deserves and will die, at least in that sector of the market.

Personally, I don't think WebOS would make such a difference. It might have been good, but too many people were already caught up with Apple - it took years of aggressive marketing by Samsung and Google to conquer the market for Android. A third competing OS... we all know what kind of market share it would have, just look at Windows mobile. No, despicable build quality and lack of interesting products in already-existing parts of the market is what failed HP and they're NOT learning a lesson from it, instead whining about how it's all MS and Intel fault.

Southernshark - Intel has delivered many viable mobile chips lately, namely their ULV Haswell i5s and i7s. They might not go into phones and tablets yet but they go into convertibles with very decent battery life and great performance for such a puny device. As for decent graphics, even now they already have HD 5200 aka Iris Pro - it makes all lower-end discrete GPUs obsolete since it can compete with GT620 (so forget all low-end AMD garbage and so on). For most consumers, that's more than good enough. Don't expect that integrated graphics will somehow magically catch up with discrete, that's not happening.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
All due respect to Meg Whitman, but she is wrong. Microsoft have put non-Intel chips in their devices since the very first devices they ever made. Xbox, Xbox 360, Zune, WP7, WP8, Surface RT, Xbox One. The only device Microsoft has ever put an Intel chip into is the Surface Pro and Surface Pro 2.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Hardly surprising that the once partners see MS as a competitor with the surface, perhaps its time to sell the MS shares as the company is moving towards becoming isolated - For a product like Surface i highly doubt its worth seeing the former partners stop pushing the MS main product...

g-unit1111

Titan

The standard Surface and Surface 2 tablets use the ARM CPU which is part of the Tegra 3 platform. The Surface Pro does use a Core i5.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
If HP Would Stop All Their Spyware InEvery Driver They Make It Would Help A Lot. TIhe Problem IA That HP Picked Profit Margins Over Quality Products. I'veNever Had A Single Proliant Server NOT Lose Hundred Of ThousandA Of Dollars Worth If Data Because All HP Does Is Ship InteL Motherboards with Crappy Seagate Hard Drives On Intel Chipsets. HP Quality And Customer Care Is Horrid. They Sell Our Info And Clog Our New Computers

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
G-Unit1111, I believe I mentioned RT already as not having an Intel CPU, which covers the Surface 2 as well - I think the point I was trying to make is the relationship between Intel and Microsoft is mainly projected by OEMs that match those chips with that software - HP are such an OEM and their decision to opt for Chromebook development and erode the link between Microsoft and Intel is not due to either of those parties and wholly down to HP. But it's nice of her to draw attention to how her company has stabbed Microsoft in the back when they have made huge sums off the back of having Windows on their machine, then been a Judas in foisting Chromebooks which have sold only a fifth as many as Surface RT in double the time. Way to go Meg, I would rate this business decision all the way up there with tanking WebOS or destroying Palm.

Avus

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2001
This is about a [removed] computer hardware manufacturer complaint about competition...

Watch the language. - G

g-unit1111

Titan

Oh there's absolutely no question that HP has made some incredibly bad business decisions since Meg Whitman signed on. Killing Palm and developing for an OS nobody wants (Chrome), that's pretty sleazy in and of itself. I'd hate to be a stock holder right now. :lol:

bluekoala

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
To be quite Honest, I wish x86 would die. Not because I'm an ARM fan or anything, but because I'm sure that we can come up with something more efficient.
I've worked for HP before and provided support for tablets using windows XP, the TC 1100 tablet computer. Saying that HP "missed the tablet bandwagon" is higly uninformed since they were instrumental in creating the tablet computers. HP had working tablets before iPods with coloured screens came out.

Status
Not open for further replies.