Solution
You may need a usb flash drive to update the bios. You have to download both the flash program and bios file to the usb drive. I've never had to use it, but it works. I'm surprised a bios update is even available for an hp board. There's no reason to update the bios unless the new file permits you to run a different cpu.

spike65

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010

The actual problem is updating the BIOS...I went to their website..downloaded the latest version to my P.C.(Dell 755) and burnt a bootable CD from it. But couldn't boot it in the HP8000.?

You may need a usb flash drive to update the bios. You have to download both the flash program and bios file to the usb drive. I've never had to use it, but it works. I'm surprised a bios update is even available for an hp board. There's no reason to update the bios unless the new file permits you to run a different cpu.

Solution

spike65

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010

Since I encountered this problem I have replaced M/Bds on the same product without any trouble, so it was that one m/bd that was at fault..Thanks for your help.

pharylon

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
On many HPs (including this one) the secret is Ctrl-A at some point or on some screen. I'm not sure exactly when you need it hit it, but once your'e in the BIOS, just hit ctrl-A, go to System Info, hit ctrl-A, keep going. Then go into System IDs and the option will be unlocked. If it's not, you didn't hit ctrl-A in the right place (may need to do it during start up, like I said, I'm not sure exactly when on this model, but I've done it using this method before).