athalus

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
i'm looking into buying a new printer. it's not that my current one isn't working, oh contrair my friends it is but the fact is i've had it for 4 years, it's an hp722c. i coulnd't tell you how fast it is because i've seem to have misplaced my booklet on it.

i've seen the new hp5550 in the stores for only $150 and the toner cartridges are alot let than what i'm paying now. it also has a picture cartridge option as well. i was wondering if anyone has seen this printer in action?

as far as other printers go. i won't touch an epson or lexmark because top loaders have a history of jamming and i stop using cannon when i sold my mac classic.

thanks in advance

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
What do u mean? I too am looking to buy a new printer, and the 5550 caught my eye. Anyone got anything good or bad to say about it?

My frog asked me for a straw...dunno what happened his ass all over the place :eek:

ramboswar

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2002
i work at office max and deal with this printer all the time. its a nice printer and u only have to add the 58 cartridge to make it a photo printer. I also believe it prints 17 ppm in black and 12in color.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ramboswar on 08/20/02 11:33 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

keysplayr2003

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2002
My wife and I were looking for a good, but practical printer that could passibly (yes, this says passibly) print out photos that we had taken with our digital camera.
We bought the HP 5550 thinking we would have to return it a few days later. We were thinking that these days, you get what you pay for. Well, we would not dream of returning this little beauty. It prints so fine at it's highest setting, you cannot see any dots at all. 4800x1200 and their not kidding. Very fast for standard printing. Quiet as a mouse. Would recommend to anyone for any kind of home printing. AZ

G

Just wait for a few hours, a complet review about this deskjet 5550 will be published on www.tomshardware.com.
By the way, this review is already published on Tom's newsletter.

Vincent Alzieu
vincent@tomshardware.fr

BubbleBoy

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2002
One question: I downloaded the manual, and it says that the 5550 uses the new USB 2.0 interface. Can it still function with the older USB 1.1, or do I have to upgrade (I don't want to use parallel)?

andyross

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002
I USB 2 device should function under USB 1.1, just slower. For a printer, I don't think it'll make much difference. To be honest, any NEW USB product should have USB 2 support, unless it's something like a mouse or keyboard where it's not necessary.