Jun 6, 2023
I'll try to keep this short. I have been having issues with my HP Omen 15 en0xxx laptop (running Windows 11). I figured out that the issues was my CPU overclocking itself since the first day I purchased it. I then recently figured out that setting the Minimum and Maximum processor state power to 99% instead of 100% fixed the crashing and issues I was having completely. However, this led to my laptop running at 1700MHz max instead of the 2900MHz that it should be running at (at 100% it runs at 4200MHz). I've also asked / made a post on the HP Forums but so far no one has answered there yet so I'm going to make a post here as well just in case.

HP Forum Post: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Noteb...estions/HP-omen-CPU-Under-Clocked/m-p/8815493

Things I've looked into:
  • The omen gaming hub does not have any overclocking features for my computer (that I can find)
  • AMD Ryzen Master does not support my CPU
  • I've tried other CPU Overclocking software like MSI Afterburner, CTR, and EVGA Precision
  • I've messed with the percentages in the power options and had no luck, it's either 1700 or it says 2900 but auto clocks to 4200

My Question:

How would I make my laptops max clock speed 2900 MHz and not overclock my CPU? Can HP hard lock the CPU clock speed or is there some workaround, jail break, anything that I can do to adjust it?

EDIT 7/27:

My CPU Is an AMD Ryzen 7 4800H with radeon graphics
Description says "AMD64 Family 23 Model 96 Stepping 1"

Last edited:
Solution
WOAH OK

So this video helped:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl4Fs-ZjlkA&ab_channel=legos45

I followed what was in the video and for anyone else having the same issue and can't figure it out, you can still have it enabled but this is the setting you'd want to change if you want to overclock. I couldn't see the performance boost setting before at all but it was on "Aggressive" before. I now have it at disabled and I'm getting the 2900 mhz as my max!
Jun 6, 2023
That didn't fix it unfortunately, still said that the CPU was not supported. However, after looking around a bit I found that the CPU is rated for 2900 (as stated) and changing the maximum power state changed the clock speed it set itself at, so 99% would be 1700, 50 would be like 1400 so on so fourth. But when going up to 100% it uses its rated Turbo clock speed of 4200 even though it says its actual clock speed of 2900. I'm assuming there is no way to turn off the turbo mode? I'll look through the bios since my first guess is it might be in there

Edit: Nothing in the bios talking about turbo or clock speed

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2023
WOAH OK

So this video helped:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl4Fs-ZjlkA&ab_channel=legos45

I followed what was in the video and for anyone else having the same issue and can't figure it out, you can still have it enabled but this is the setting you'd want to change if you want to overclock. I couldn't see the performance boost setting before at all but it was on "Aggressive" before. I now have it at disabled and I'm getting the 2900 mhz as my max!

Reactions: NanoSuit3
Solution