[SOLVED] HP P410 RAID card in consumer hardware?

shanedude02

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2013
Hello all,
So I've decided to build a low spec home NAS thingy, and so far, it seems everything works except for one of the most important things.
The RAID card.

Specs are:
Mobo: P8H61I-I
CPU: Currently some i3 of some sort but getting a 2700K from a friend soon
RAM: 4GB

The RAID card I got is a P410, I've used these cards a few times in servers (yeah, surprising, what they're meant to be used in) without issues.
It refuses to initialise in the above setup.

I'm just wondering if its a case of the card looking for HP specific hardware or if I have a dud?
I've seen other posts of people using these cards successfully in consumer hardware, so assumed it should work.
I've seen somewhere, on 1 post, of my googling session, that when it initialises it looks for HP server hardware.

Thanks in advanced

Solution
The 410 had compatibility issues with 6 & 7 series chipsets. You can look for firmware updates for the card, I don't know if they were ever resolved though.
I think there's compatibility issues. That raid card is meant for PCIe2 boards that support DDR2 memory. Yours is PCIe3 with DDR3 support. Also I don't even see what drives are compatible with the raid card on its main page. I would opt out of using that device and use a PCIe3 card instead. I setup my 4690k with an old LSI-8750i SAS raid controller and 8x 1TB WD Black 7200RPM. Works with no issues.

shanedude02

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2013
If I cant get this card working or get another card that'll work cheaply enough, might just end up installing linux on a usb, and using the 4 sata ports on the motherboard to make a zfs pool.
I would've preferred hardware raid, but cant get much done with next to no budget 🙃