Question HP pavilion g6 powers on with no display

mitk0o0o0

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2012
I've got a HP pavilion g6-2220su that stopped displaying anything on the screen. I tried connecting an external monitor but nothing appears there as well.
After a bunch of random restarts I finally managed to get a screen for 5 minutes or so both on its LCD and the external monitor with Windows 8.1 booted up until it eventually shut down. Note it overheats very quickly as I haven't bothered cleaning it up and replacing the thermal paste so that could've been the cause of the shutdown.

What happens when I power it on is I can hear something make a noise possible the hard drive or the dvd rom? Fan starts spinning, the light on the WiFi key is orange and the Caps Lock key used to light up as well (as I am typing this now the Caps Lock key does not light up anymore but it used to every time)
UPDATE: Now the Caps Lock light is blinking once every second or two.

Another thing I've noticed is that on the right side next to the charger port, there's a little 3 disk icon with a light next to it which I'm guessing is for showing HDD activity? That one never really blinks or anything
When I fold the laptop, it does go to sleep after a few seconds.

The laptop doesn't have a battery anymore so I can only power it on using the charger. I tried the 30 second power button method to hard reset it but's still the same.
I've tried playing with the RAM sticks by removing one of them and trying each on both slots but it still doesn't seem to work. I tried with another RAM stick but nothing happens so I guess a memory issue is out of the question here?

Thought maybe the BIOS could be corrupted or something so I tried the Win + B + Power button method from here but it just starts up with a black screen again. Last thing I just tried was unplugging the keyboard and see if it would start up but that didn't work either. Could the CPU have gotten damaged from all the overheating maybe, or could the CMOS battery be the culprit? Not sure what else try.

"Now the Caps Lock light is blinking once every second or two. "

This is likely an error code. Is there more than one color on the caps lock led? You have to count the blinks and decide if they are long or short blinks.

mitk0o0o0

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2012
"Now the Caps Lock light is blinking once every second or two. "

This is likely an error code. Is there more than one color on the caps lock led? You have to count the blinks and decide if they are long or short blinks.
Actually yes. Yesterday after a closer look I noticed that it blinks twice then pauses, then blinks twice again and after looking it up it may be the BIOS. I am now about to attempt to recover it by downloading it from the HP site and transferring it to a USB drive and try to install it by holding the Win + B + power keys together as instructed on the HP website. Prior to that I disassembled it and unplugged the CMOS battery for a couple of minutes but that didn't solve the issue. In case the BIOS installation using the keys doesn't work out what would my other options be? I read one would have to get the memory chip out and somehow flash the BIOS directly onto it then solder it back onto the motherboard - that I definitely won't be able to do.

Still, I could be wrong about the reason for it being a corrupt BIOS and be something else. Please do let me know if you've got any other ideas on what I should try.