HP Pulling Out of Windows RT Race... Over Surface?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]zcpro[/nom]This marks the day where OEM's will collaborate with Google to create/expand support for an alternate X86 client OS (Chrome OS) for PC. I say within five (5) years a Google X86 client OS will be supported by the above mentioned OEM'S for Business and End User units.[/citation]
Except that ChromeOS requires a network connection to function. If you lose your network connection for any reason, you lose access to everything.

arlandi

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
all these talks are about Windows RT, not Windows x86. these doesn't mean HP won't be making a Windows 8 tablet in the future.

HP confirmed that it has put its Windows RT plans on hold. "The decision to go with x86 was influenced by input from our customers,” HP spokesperson Marlene Somsak wrote in an e-mail to Bloomberg.

bcrisp82

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012
Good Riddance. It will keep the garbage hardware out of the market. These OEMs have been doing Microsoft a disservice for decades by releasing subpar garbage with a windows badge bloated with unusable software. This will teach them how things should be done.

bcrisp82

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012
It's get a chuckle seeing all these unqualified people predicting the demise of Windows 8. Chances are that it will go down in history a the most innovative operating system ever released on to the market and will influence the way every corporation and household on this planet is ran. It's okay if you don't "get it"... you will, patience is a virtue.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]so... MS makes their own tablet, HP gets miffed and jumps ship, and from what I am reading in the comments HPs consumers simply say 'dont let the door hit you on the way out!'It seems to me HP, a company that was going to axe every single end-user product line just a few months ago, simply cannot make a good device, or sell it for a profit. They are the ones that need to wake up and change.[/citation]

You're completely right. Except HP is quite profitable. So, I guess you're wrong. Maybe check the facts next time?

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
For all the Microsoft Sheep, who can't see reality, and in their mindless stupor believe anything Microsoft says, here's the clincher that makes all your arguments wrong - Microsoft is charging 3x the amount for the OS.

If they were looking for good quality units in this market, they wouldn't have priced the OS three times the x86 version. You don't enable your 'partners' to create machines that will further your OS by crippling it with this type of cost.

Clearly, Microsoft is screwing their partners (as they always have when they could), and trying to carve out this market for itself. There's no other rational explanation, and only the mindless sheep can't see it.

Why would HP participate in a market that further's Microsoft's interests, while they are getting screwed royally by them? Microsoft is a continually weakening company, and when their try their normal BS (like making vendors pay for Windows on every machine they sold, even if it didn't have Windows on it. Yes, they did this!) they get slapped and told to know their place. That's all HP did. Others will follow. And Windows RT will fail, which is becoming a Microsoft tradition. They may as well have called in Windows Zune; it's heading into the same junk heap.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
I hope this will help the Linux market. I've been trying new iterations of linux for 7 years now but I still can't do without Windows because 3rd parties don't support Linux like they should.

Therefore I hope MS becomes more like Apple and leaves the PC to Linux, because if linux has a much larger market share developers of software will support it a lot more.

suoeno

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
If I were HP I'd pull out of RT too...but not because of spilled milk. Because Surface Pro (that x86 Intel ULV IVB one) proves a better point. Diff 3rd device possibility segment. Why build ARM based products just to shoot yourself further in the foot to compete against the iPad and Android's tablet army when you can focus on making badass W8 Pro Envy tablets?

Think about it? When you're HP, Dell or Acer, you already have a working relationship w/ Intel. It won't be in Intel's long term interest to purely restrict their ULV IVB (or future designs) just for Surfaces ao they're game. They're just playing it safe right now.

IAmVortigaunt

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
[citation][nom]ta152h[/nom]For all the Microsoft Sheep, who can't see reality, and in their mindless stupor believe anything Microsoft says, here's the clincher that makes all your arguments wrong - Microsoft is charging 3x the amount for the OS. If they were looking for good quality units in this market, they wouldn't have priced the OS three times the x86 version. You don't enable your 'partners' to create machines that will further your OS by crippling it with this type of cost. Clearly, Microsoft is screwing their partners (as they always have when they could), and trying to carve out this market for itself. There's no other rational explanation, and only the mindless sheep can't see it. Why would HP participate in a market that further's Microsoft's interests, while they are getting screwed royally by them? Microsoft is a continually weakening company, and when their try their normal BS (like making vendors pay for Windows on every machine they sold, even if it didn't have Windows on it. Yes, they did this!) they get slapped and told to know their place. That's all HP did. Others will follow. And Windows RT will fail, which is becoming a Microsoft tradition. They may as well have called in Windows Zune; it's heading into the same junk heap.[/citation]

In regard to the 3x cost: 1) Windows RT includes Office; 2) It's my understanding that ARM versions require more customization to the specific hardware being used, as opposed to the x86 version, which is standard regardless of hardware. These factors may contribute to the higher cost. But I have a feeling you're just looking to bash MS anyway, so you probably don't care to entertain such ideas.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Thing to do: don't piss off ALL your partners... they may bite you back.

Lets step into the way-back machine. Back around 2001 or so, there were about an even number of Voodoo1/2 & Banshee card makers to nvidia's TNT. Just before the release of the Voodoo3, 3Dfx buys out STB (local company in Texas) to make actual video cards.

Not only did all their partners just leave, they all went to Nvidia. But they didn't go quietly... they marketed and beatup 3Dfx... they didn't compete against each other, they just attacked 3Dfx.

All these companies should be looking at making Android and Linux based systems. They can sell a PC for $50 or so less as media computers. Okay, I doubt that'll happen.

But really, this is NOT SHOCK when the MS-tablet first became public. We are not going to SEE non-MS tablets. These same partners have been selling x86 tablets for a few years... at $1200~1600. They are NOT flying off the shelves. They do NOT compete with iPads, Kindles or Android tablets. So they are NOT going to be making x86 Win8 tablets anymore than they are now, if at all.

If HP wants to hurt Microsoft... they need to make sure they have Linux drivers for all their printers (within reason) and sell Linux PCs.

some may ask: "But people do not know how to use Linux".
Answer: People don't know how to use Windows8-metro... so its still a learning curve.

Hear that PC market & LINUX? This maybe a good time to have Linux desktops on store shelves... because LinuxMint looks very much like Windows7.

G

they dropped arm for the low power servers also ... iam guessing Intel paid them well rather than anything else :p

[citation][nom]ta152h[/nom]You're completely right. Except HP is quite profitable. So, I guess you're wrong. Maybe check the facts next time?[/citation]
HP is extremely profitable, and makes GREAT products... for their professional lines, and server products. Their end-user products simply suck, and they are not making a whole lot of money on them, otherwise they would be expanding the product lines, not debating about axeing them

[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]HP is extremely profitable, and makes GREAT products... for their professional lines, and server products. Their end-user products simply suck, and they are not making a whole lot of money on them, otherwise they would be expanding the product lines, not debating about axeing them[/citation]

I wish that HP made their laptops like they made their servers. I have a bunch of second and third gen ProLiant rackmounts lying around at home. Those things simply do not quit, they're built like tanks. HP Laptops might as well be sold from a dollar store.

bcrisp82

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012
[citation][nom]ta152h[/nom]For all the Microsoft Sheep, who can't see reality, and in their mindless stupor believe anything Microsoft says, here's the clincher that makes all your arguments wrong - Microsoft is charging 3x the amount for the OS. If they were looking for good quality units in this market, they wouldn't have priced the OS three times the x86 version. You don't enable your 'partners' to create machines that will further your OS by crippling it with this type of cost. Clearly, Microsoft is screwing their partners (as they always have when they could), and trying to carve out this market for itself. There's no other rational explanation, and only the mindless sheep can't see it. Why would HP participate in a market that further's Microsoft's interests, while they are getting screwed royally by them? Microsoft is a continually weakening company, and when their try their normal BS (like making vendors pay for Windows on every machine they sold, even if it didn't have Windows on it. Yes, they did this!) they get slapped and told to know their place. That's all HP did. Others will follow. And Windows RT will fail, which is becoming a Microsoft tradition. They may as well have called in Windows Zune; it's heading into the same junk heap.[/citation]

Thanks for the laugh. I'll be sure to quote your ignorant comments in 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.