HP Refreshes Envy Notebook Lineup, Includes 15-Inch Carrizo Model

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hando567

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
The Carrizo option would be more exciting if they didn't totally cripple everything around it. A 15" 1366x768 (who came up with that anyway?) screen is NOT acceptable in 2015. Seriously, how much more expensive would a 1080P panel have been? They pretty much give those things away these days.

Then to top it off they omit any SSD option and instead include a 5400 RPM drive standard. Again, this is no longer an OK thing to have for a boot drive in 2015. Sure this could probably be changed yourself later, but why not offer it as a factory option?

Nintendork

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
Really AMD, dont you realize OEM's don't give a single damn about your product?

Carrizo as an option crippled in hard drive, memory or worse sh*tty TN HD panel, so AMD gets the worst of the worst.

PLEASE AMD:
Do the smart thing and release your products under your own brand, how about using the moniker Fury as a Desktop/Laptop/Tablet brand?

Was planning to get a Carrizo Envy laptop now with this pathetic quality product I probably go with an Ipad Air 2 or the Galaxy Tab S2.

768p IN 2015 IS NOT ACCEPTABLE.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
the avg person prob has never even heard of usb 3.1 and the avg person prob doesn't look for how many pixels are on a screen all they see is how big it is and that's good enough for them. So companies like hp. dell, Lenovo, Acer etc will continue to put out these products as is.

Reepca

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
I can think of no technical reason for the limitations on AMD-based notebooks. This is absurd. The best you can get with intel is a 2TB HDD + SSD, QHD+ screen, and 16 GB RAM. The best you can get with AMD is a 1TB HDD, 768p screen, and 8 GB RAM. I could live with 8GB RAM and get by with just a slow old hard drive, but refusing access to remotely good screens just because Intel probably gave them a nice chunk of cash? This is bull crap! It's blatantly trying to put AMD farther behind. Surely there must be some sort of law against this monopolistic crap?

rodbowler

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
My thoughts are in line with many here: Crippling the AMD version is a disgrace. It is blatantly anticompetitive, an obvious ploy intended to convince the majority of non-technical consumers that the AMD hardware simply cannot do the job. The sad thing is, this ongoing attack on the free market (yes, I'm looking at you, Intel) is working. AMD cannot gain market share, regardless of the technical capability of their product, while Intel is able to stack the deck against them. Rant over.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
The Carrizo option would be more exciting if they didn't totally cripple everything around it.

IKR?! Nearly every single laptop manufacturer does that. Example: Asus N551 with AMD processor gets mediocre TN panel instead of decent IPS available in the Intel variant. I would advise AMD-powered laptops to my friends and colleagues easily - the processor is one of the last things I look at nowadays when choosing a laptop - but the fact that AMD configs always cut down on crucial components is just lame.

I meant 3K+ 17".

Not a single 17" laptop panel above 1080p on the market right now. I guess there's overall a low demand for 17" outside of gaming and workstation markets (which are tiny compared to mainstream junk manufacturers push all the time).

blakbird24

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
It's price. The AMD APU is cheaper, and therefore gets paired with cheaper components due to pressure on OEMs to keep the prices of these mobile products super low. As we all know, it's not us enthusiasts that they are building for, we are outnumbered by many orders of magnitude. The buyers they are building for simply buy the cheapest thing they can find that has the most upscale looks and brand they can fit in their budget.

Ironically, AMD's low prices are actually hurting it in this area. If they would price their competitive APUs just slightly cheaper than Intel (as opposed to way cheaper), I think we would start seeing AMD's hardware start appearing in some more mid-range units and gaining some "street cred".

Reepca

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012

I agree, although it saddens me that only up to the fx-8700P is available. The difference is just 2 graphics Compute Cores and a couple MHz though, right? And that L50 starting pricing seems quite reasonable, to my knowledge.

ecstubblebine

Reputable
Jun 12, 2015
I agree with many on this board. AMD needs to begin selling their own products. If they sold a well-specced, reasonably priced FX-8800P laptop I think many would snap them up. I would. I think they are being frozen out of important markets.

hyper_cool

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Here we go Intel, telling HP don't put AMD on highest specs. Screw you Intel!. You always trying to get in the way of OEM. What I don't understand is OEM can build exact same specs and the only difference is the CPU. Freaking OEM keeps listening to Intel.
Put AMD in it and consumers will win and will like your products more. Intel is so overrated these days.

cd000

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
Oh for crying out loud, really HP? Why in the world can't we get the AMD version with a SSD and 1080p panel? Even as an option would be fine. No wonder AMD is in the position it's in with OEMs doing stuff like this.

Brian_R170

Honorable
Jun 24, 2014
Intel paid out billions from what they did (or allegedly did) 15 years ago and now the FTC and EU/EC are keeping a watchful eye. Fans may not want to admit it, but make no mistake, AMDs current woes are their own doing, whether it be the fault of engineering or marketing.

I would chalk this one up to both . It's not that easy to find a reasonably powerful 2-in-1 under $700 that doesn't have debilitating compromise like the screen, the SSD, the CPU, etc. On top of that, the OEMs expect a lot of engineering support from the CPU manufacturers. I.e. they expect AMD to hand them a reference-design or fund their engineering to create a product that has the specs they want to show-off at specific price-point. HP's offerings are a clear indication of how much support OEMs are getting from cash-strapped AMD.

What you desire will come, but don't expect it to come first from the top-tier OEMs like HP (whether you agree that HP is top-tier or not is another debate).

lol wow all the AMD fanbois thinking there is a conspiracy. AMD sells cheaper chips than intel so AMD wants the their laptops cheaper than intel's so people will overlook how underperformed their chips are and try to beat them on price. if OEM's offer the same features as intel laptops or even desktops then the price point between value and performance is not enough to choose an AMD PC over intel. as for HP using cheap parts well HP has always skimped out on quality parts

Status
Not open for further replies.