Question HP Spectre x360-13t no sound

anvoice

Honorable
Jan 12, 2018
Hello, I have a 2018 HP Spectre x360-13t (product #: 3JE06AV) running Windows 10 that recently stopped playing sound through its speakers. Laptop was not dropped or otherwise damaged. Troubleshooting the audio device gives nothing (no problems found), there is an audio icon on the right of the taskbar, and it shows the typical moving green bars when something is playing, but no sound comes out. Headphones through the audio jack do work fine though.
What I've tried:
  • Restarting the laptop multiple times.
  • Reinstalling the audio drivers through device manager.
  • Installing newest audio drivers directly from the HP website.
  • Updating the bios and restarting.
  • Checking if any Windows Updates installed recently (none did around the time the sound disappeared).

I don't know what else I can do. I didn't open the laptop yet so I don't know if the sound card is replaceable or integrated into the motherboard, but I don't even know if that's the issue. I would really appreciate any help.

Lutfij

Titan
Unless you open the laptop to inspect the speaker's diaphragm and the connector for said speakers, you're left wondering whether or not the speakers failed due to bad quality or if the drivers and the OS are having trouble communicating.

Speaking of which, which BIOS version are you currently on? Where did you source the drivers for your sound card?

Which version of Windows 10 are you working with?

Jul 9, 2020
has anyone found the solution to this? I seem to be also experiencing this... not profile related as it also occurrs when logged in as admin... tried all of the above and more...

Sep 5, 2020
This has bothered me for months and I finally figured out how to fix it - at least on my machine...

In the system tray right click the speaker icon and click sounds (or get to sounds through the control panel).
Right click on Headphones and disable it.
That's it - now my speakers work!