HP Wants to Be Cooler than Apple

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shywiz

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
Who wrote this article? It's littered with typos. Please guys, get someone to proof read your articles before you post them.

lp231

Splendid
HP can be "cool" by making larger intake vents so fans can take in as much air as possible to cool down vital components. There are some HP notebooks models where the vent is so small, they might as well not make a vent at all. Another thing is to redesign it so the fan is easier to access thus us enthusiasts can clean the dust and be able to reapply our preferred thermal paste.

azz156

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
i've had my hp laptop for over a year now n i would go another hp, one complaint would be the flimsy plastic case but other then that its 100% reliable.

tip for ppl buying laptops never i repeat NEVER buy a laptop with a nvidia graphics, i worked in a major retailer in the service department & nearly every laptop that i worked on that over heated had a nvidia graphics card.
was the hps/toshibas that had the 6xxx - 9xxx nvidia series graphics cards, the intel & ati ones very rarely had this problem.

azz156

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
i've had my hp laptop for over a year now n i would go another hp, one complaint would be the flimsy plastic case but other then that its 100% reliable.

tip for ppl buying laptops never i repeat NEVER buy a laptop with a nvidia graphics, i worked in a major retailer in the service department & nearly every laptop that i worked on that over heated had a nvidia graphics card.
was the hps/toshibas that had the 6xxx - 9xxx nvidia series graphics cards, the intel & ati ones very rarely had this problem.

K33

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I used iPaqs for years Almost 10. So when I wasnted a smartphone I lazilly just went and got one from HP... It had all of the headline figures, but it was wholly unuseable. It did not have the resources to do the job and regularly froze and crashed. HP replaced it twice. I still remember my pleasure when I hit it with a hammer to put it out of my misery.

I felt very let down that HP even put it on the market... I do not trust HP at all now. With the exception of my H470 printer, when they eventually did bring W7 drivers out... HP has a long way to go to get me anywhere near them.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]azz156[/nom]i've had my hp laptop for over a year now n i would go another hp, one complaint would be the flimsy plastic case but other then that its 100% reliable.[/citation]

Er... no, its not. Nothing is 100% reliable! Okay, only thing is death. I know for certain that every single person will die, someday.

Lamiel

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
Wait a sec... Apple's cool? Since when ?! It must have happened sometime this morning, because I know they were still wankers when I went to bed last night.

ozzman24

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
I'd rather have an Asus or MSI laptop. More bang for the buck and an extra year warranty ain't bad either. As for a desktop? I'll never buy a stupid manufactured PC again! I'll build it myself and again not be charged an arm for budget hardware. If that was the case I'd just buy Apple and give them my arm.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
The fact that all apple products are expensive is part of it's wow factor. Apple doesn't offer value products. If HP wants to occupy the same space, they need to make the name mean something. You can't really sell top notch and bottom of the barrel products under the same name and expect people to see your brand as a high end product.

Look at Lian-Li. Their company owns Lancool as well, and uses that name for their cheaper products. Keeping their value and boutique products separate allows them to maintain the status of the brand name.

heliks

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
First of all stop BIOS locking vendor codes to just a pair of legacy devices.
Enquire to intel-microsoft about apple monopoly of platform and find a way to provide MAC OS and all other possible firmware for all of your computers as apples can run windows legally. If intel-microsoft-apple keeps the injustice get rid of them instantly. Settle long term full cooperation with other ruler business market capacities like IBM,ORACLE,SONY,DELL,ACER,LENOVO in favor of AMD,ARM,NVIDIA cooperated platform independant open source TRON OS solutions locked against all apple-microsoft initiatives until apple-windows has crushed down and completely perished and totaled with intel to the inexistence. intel is the company that provided hardware and this os monopoly to apple. I am asking to Intel are we stupid enough to buy same shitty hardware 2 times, paying 3 times or are other computer manufacturers stupid because you have conspirated with apple ? YOU and all others need a open source ubiquitous OS just legally formally locked to apple and alike minded companies platforms. ISVs jump should be instant since proper ones of these applications depend on reliability.

G

Cut the umbilical with Micro$oft and make ALL your laptops and desktops available with a Linux of the customers choice ... I'll buy but not until.

Janis K.

While I don't agree with the pursuing of "cool" as a corporate strategy, if this produces HP products that are durable and designed well, then I'm all for it.

For instance, the paintjob of my DV4 laptop is beginning to chip away at the palm rests. It makes it look very ugly and speaks volume to others that see HP laptops.

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
Cut the umbilical with Micro$oft and make ALL your laptops and desktops available with a Linux of the customers choice ... I'll buy but not until.

Janis K.

Unfortunately, dumping Microsoft would mean losing a hell of a lot more business. While Linux is a good OS, it's not for mass consumption and won't attract any more buyers and will drive many people away.

There is a reason a lot of people installed Windows on the original Netbooks which came packed with Linux and why you rarely see it on Netbooks currently. Though Google and Intel have been trying to change that with their own brands of OS.

Besides, what is to stop any Linux user from just formatting and installing their favorite flavor of Linux? It's not hard to do, especially for someone who is already familiar with Linux.

raimoa1

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
Hp, this is totally doable. Follow the advice of other people that have been posting here. When it comes to laptops, this is also totally doable - just make up a streamlined design that would look and feel better than Apple's shiny metal. Apple has several weak spots - 1) high price 2) outdated parts 3) lack of ports and the like . Invest in customer service and tech support. Those arrogant and useless novices on UK phone lines is what makes people spend the extra few hundred pounds/dollars to opt for Apple. Make sure you encourage customers to report any bad customer service. You don't need big one off sales but loyal customers- you want people to stay with HP.

Oh and please do make osx available. Also, invest a little into the linux-based startup browser introduced in the envy series (whatever it was called splashtop ?), add more compatibility

heliks

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
there s nothing more important than directx (gaming) on microsoft side that actually is GPU manufacturer's success out of good relations with software developers. Other than that also with the help of multiple cores and virtualization anything microsoft can be emulated pretty good and better than bootcamp all the way through self destruction phase. I would better point out that even reputable windows only manufacturers of ISV software depend on bootcamp apple emulation solutions as a production environment. Wintelization should be anyway gotten rid of urgently before wintel adapts a new way of milking world with their long lived tick tock that doesn't aim to correspond to expectations of evolving and proggressive computing market but milking per horrible performance/watt.

Status
Not open for further replies.