HP Wants to Be Cooler than Apple

Status
Not open for further replies.

bavman

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
They need to step up their game though. Last hp notebook i bought was crap in terms of build quality, and overheated all the time. Just make sure you dont become aholes and overcharge for your products lol

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
don't make it "cool"...

just make great laptops that works and last a long time...

I don't need to carry one like a hipster accessory...

gekko668

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Make your hardware reliable, high res LCD and replace that stupid multi-touch wannabe track pad and i'll guy your product any day.

G

They need to dump Microsoft to change their image for the better. MS is an anchor.

jrharbort

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
As mentioned in a few comments already, it wouldn't hurt for them to improve their hardware reliability, and offer a better standard warranty. It helps when customers know you stand behind your product's ability to last.

This is where their name has been tarnished the most. They have a lot of work to do to start convincing consumers otherwise.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
He fails to realize that Apple is only cool to Apple fans. The rest of the sane world doesn't think that way. As someone stated above, just improve the quality and customers will notice.

overclockingrocks

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
improve product reliability back to what it used to be before the DV2000 series laptops came out (which were garbage and had tons of motherboard issues) and I'd be more than happy to buy an HP laptop. Back before the DV series came out HP was known for reliability and a well built machine. The DV series changed all that. Massive overheating issues and motherboards failing in just over a year (case in point my friends DV2202 motherboard died in 13 months thankfully he bought the 3 year extended warranty).

If they want to take on Apple they have to get their QC/QA levels back up and go back to the way they used to be. Until they resolve the underlying reliability and build quality issues they have NO chance at taking on Apple or any other manufacturer that's using higher end parts and has better QA/QC along with incredibly stable and reliable products

batman4u

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
apple may be expensive and first macbooks (intel crap) where a power hog and could get so hot it could fry a buffalo in 1 minute but besie that all the computers i had from apple are RELIABLE

Hp dont sell that defective junk you sell i have seen 10 tablets gone dark and lots of you pavillon crap notebooks

P.S. crap doesnt make you popular

tmuaddib

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
original poster has the same issue I do. My girlfriends family bought 5 NICE (at the time) hp laptops, 4 larger ones and 1 tablet style that had a rotating screen you could swivel to lay on top of the keyboard. They all were nice looking, packed with hardware (were meant as gaming/world of warcraft laptops, bought around 3 years ago now I believe) and came with ejectable remotes built into the chassis. All 4 have broken in some way or another, whether cracked screens/missing buttons/broken power adaptors etc. That could be mostly/all due to mis-use as they are pretty rough with them, but the MAIN problem all of them had was, they ALL overheated, way to much. They even overheated when not gaming, but when gaming it got extreme, one sister has an iphone sized (seeming to be permanent as shes had it pretty much 3 years now) brown discolored spot on her thigh from where she sat it for too long when using it. I know they are 'notebooks' now, not 'laptops' for that very reason, but cmon, dont put all that super-hardware in there, and then screw it up by not putting in adequate heating... The damn things overheated so much they would all slow to a crawl or freeze/blue screen over time. Too bad, other than that the family loved em.

xantek24

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
1. the last time my grandpa wanted to be "hip" he got his ass kicked....
2. who the hell said apple was cool?
3. be a leader, not a follower...
4. did i mentioned apple sux?

hupatek

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
HP has both potential and gloroius history to easily stir the new line of cool equipment. The big value of both Apple and HP devices was always good ergonomics - but Apple ergonomics is focused on rich dummies while HP was for professionals and heavy workers.
Personally I love using old HP calculators (i.e. 11c) with ideal keyboard feel, than there are unbreakable laser printers, professional osciloscopes, even ending with ordinary balanced 6730b, I'm using now.

If they want to be cool they must not follow Apple, rather building new businnes over above value and completely new ideas.

Direct Apple followers fails do gain so, they are just followers - sometimes worsened by small yet visible issues (ie. ergonomics - Samsung galaxy with choppy scrolling)...

batman4u

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
BETTER START GOING FOR... BE AS GOOD AS GATEWAY lol you by far are the worst reliable compuuter company

PC-Reliability chart

1-ASUS
2-DELL
3-Apple
4-MSI
5-Lenovo(was better when was IBM)
6-Gateway
7-Acer
8-Chevrolet---
------------
-----
50-FudRuckers
51-Mcdonalds
--------
-----
1,000,000- Hewlett Packard

Tip: stick to build your rappaport Sthetoscope maybe someone with knowledge will take you seriously that way

virochana

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
HP use to have a top reputation before they got into the commodity market.
I have several HP higher end notebooks, and they work well, but they do get hot.

The problem here, in terms of notebooks and pcs, is that HP is not a manufacturuer at a low level, i.e., they do not make the CPU's, Graphic Chips, etc, and thus they are assembling componants, competing against others doing the same. Of course there is lots of technical know how, deisgn, and engineering involved, but there is a difference.

Now Apple also did not manufacture their own chips, but they did have their own OS and it use to run on motorolla chips, and it gave them a closed arena in which to hone their assmebly and design, keep prices high for a niche market, and make a larger profit.

Personally i do not like apple, and yes i have owned their laptops before. I think they are overpriced, over hyped, and the company seems to be un-ethical in their presentation.

HP does have the skill to do all of this right, but they are going to need real clear leadership and precise timing. More than the type of thinking of buying the palm brand.

1) There is a technology issue. They need to have both the power and not overheating problems. I tended to go the HP route, because as a software developer, i need the power and would not consider a laptio without it. But for the mass market, i would say less power, but also less heat is more of a winning formula.
But this might be a non-issue with the new sandy bridge platform.

2) Limit the number of products, and get each one perfect, even if it means loosing initial shelf space. Extra copper on the motherboards, slick design, advanced research into cooling solutions.

3) The display, at least on some models, has to be top notch. What would happen if HP came out with a notebook that used one of the more advance LCD scanning mechanisms, even if this high end notebook cost an extra $500. Imagine a notebook with a screen that could be calibrated - what a market that would open up, and you would get huge points for your reputation as well.

4) Drastically lower the acceptaple failure rate level. Remove problem products from the market, take a loss for a period of time for a future dominance. I think Samsung did something like this, and look where they are now.

Yeah, HP, get back to where you were.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Stop making things that are "cool" and start making things that work and don't feel like crap to the touch. My HP notebook I got about 3 or so years ago was great until the screen died, my new HP notebook w/ Windows 7 sucks. I can't stand the touchpad on it.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]xantek24[/nom]1. the last time my grandpa wanted to be "hip" he got his ass kicked....
2. who the hell said apple was cool?
3. be a leader, not a follower...
4. did i mentioned apple sux?[/citation]

pretty much says it all.. I think ill start buying laptops and putting an orange on them and jacking up the price at least 3 times what i paid.. What? fruit seems to be hot this decade. I mean look at apple. They have the same model im going to use and they make billions. why wont it work? Thats really the difference so i should be the next jobs. But ill have to get some dude with an ego the size of the moon to market my stuff and look like a pompous ass all the time but that will be easy when im making billions. but i hope he has enough lube to ram it to all his customers all the time and when something doesn't work on my laptops ill suggest spending $200 on a cooler saying its just the way your holding it this will make you hold it right. Presto!

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
if 'thats' something HP really wants, they need to do a bit more than they are, cant just say "hey, im cool".. they need to essentially reinvent their company. ditch what they are as hp, reputation, advertising, QOS and QC, just about everything, and start over... of coarse, doing that wouldnt be cheap, either. but, again.. is this something hp really wants? or can afford to do? (ironically enough)

Status
Not open for further replies.