Question HP Z620 Workstation - one memory slot problematic

Feb 23, 2024
Product: HP Z620 Workstation
I had 16 = 4 x 4 GB RAM shown as 12GB rather than 16GB

HP Z620 Workstation - 8 slots DDR3 RAM = BLACK X 4 + WHITE X 4

After replaced with 16 GB x 4 = 64GB now shows 48GB

Found the problematic slot - by trial and error, is the second black slot from the rear - nearest the processor...

What can we do to fix it???? Spray compressed air, and retry, soon to do this... other to try?

IF NOT working, CAN I USE ONE WHITE SLOT...? THE PC CAME BLACK SLOTS FILLED/occupied, white slots all empty

This is posted also, here:

===

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Deskt...-as-12GB-rather-than-16GB/m-p/9000966#M243692

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/fo...ation-1-x-slot-memory-has-problems/?p=5617967

===

I would take a simi hard paint brush and gently sweep out memory slot. Than blow it out.

On my HP Z620 as far as the memory went it only played nice if when installing memory you use equal pressure on both sides of the stick when pushing down to install.

Test. if working your good.

If not contact spray in that memory slot would be my next try. Give time to dry than re test.

Jul 3, 2023
I tried everything with agphotoworld (i am a friend of) on his hp z620, but the 3rd slot [2nd black from rear] from the rear, is not work, ...
Can we try put the 3rd slots' 16gb chip in a white slot?
If yes, what white slot try firstly count from the rear?

Jul 3, 2023
IF its THEN THE 16gb RAM added in a white slot to a total of 64gb, ... leave it there or ....?

I understand your slot 4 is not working. I posted the memory manual so maybe you could configure the ram to avoid that bad slot. And yes HP does only say 8 Gb's per slot. As far as 16Gb sticks HP only officially lists them as working with the HP Z800 models.

Don't worry though 16Gb sticks work fine all 8 slots on the HP Z620. Mine has 128Gb of memory no issue.

The only other fix I think you could try to get that memory slot working is to make sure CPU does not have a bent pin.

The reason I hadn't suggested going that route is even I had a hard time with the CPU cooler getting it just right after a CPU up grade.

Jul 3, 2023
#6 , diagram
What you mean, about processor I am not confident I can remove processor,… to check it,…
About, leave black slot [4] empty and use a white slot, Is any problem with this even, ram chips will not fill slots in order as in the manual…?
What white slot pick from #6 diagram…? Again, CPU Is only one.

Is any Ram diagnostics test to do, before using a white slot?

Jul 3, 2023
Speccy Report, MiniToolBox
Some other forums suggest try the above tools ⚒️ ^ well?

And some other forum, suggest use: below ,… well? What to try?

Run the HP UEFI hardware diagnostics with all RAM modules to see if it detects any motherboard / RAM problems.

Download and install: HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI – v10.3.0.0

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp150...0/sp150582.exe

Run the HP UEFI Hardware diagnostics overnight while sleeping in loop until error:

Power on the computer while repetitively clicking F2 or F10 > HP UEFI Hardware diagnostics > system > extensive > loop until error > the next day if it has made two or more loops > click esc > take pictures > post images or share links into this thread displaying the tests performed with results

Jul 3, 2023
Maybe BIOS issue …?

If do as another forum suggest, but yet try, remove sticks from slots as be like: filled the 2 Ram slots from each side farthest from the processor, and the 2 Ram slots nearest to the processor from each side be empty
I will try this soon, is it ok?

Product: HP Z620 Workstation
I had 16 = 4 x 4 GB RAM shown as 12GB rather than 16GB

After replaced with 16 GB x 4 = 64GB now shows 48GB

Found the problematic slot - by trial and error, is the second black slot from the rear - nearest the processor...

What can we do to fix it???? Spray compressed air, and retry, soon to do this... other to try?

IF NOT working, CAN I USE ONE WHITE SLOT...? THE PC CAME BLACK SLOTS FILLED/occupied, white slots all empty

This is posted also, here:

===

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Deskt...-as-12GB-rather-than-16GB/m-p/9000966#M243692

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/fo...ation-1-x-slot-memory-has-problems/?p=5617967

===
If your having issues with one of the black slots i would run your ram in 2 black slots and 2 white slots giving you 2 dual channel configuration.

You could also try removing and re seat the CPU

Jul 3, 2023
posted here too:
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Busin...up-64gb-4x16gb-even-not-an/m-p/9005967#M45384

Ram OK at 64GB 100% = 4 x 16GB
Well, let the HP Z620 PC in this RAM setup, 64gb=4x16gb - even not an ideal RAM order?

4 x RAM chips are in slots: 1, 5, 2, and 6 [2 x black + 2 x white] in other words, rather than in all 4 black slots as should be, well???

large

So if your up and running why stress. You have a bad ram slot or a bent CPU pin. Nothing anyone can do from our side to fix that.

You have three choices.

Get a different HP Z620. On the right day on the used market you can find these for $50.00

Take it to a shop to fix if they can.

Pull the CPU and see if the issue is a bent pin.

I caution when I say that as if you don't figure out the learning curve on how to get that OEM CPU cooler tightened just right your going to start to have overheating issues. You have to screw down x amount of pressure on those two feet on CPU cooler that look like extensions vs the two back screws that have to wait a couple of turns. Than start the normal criss cross normal pattern of screwing down the CPU cooler.

But your working and why go down that rabbit hole with computer.

Last option just use it as is at least it's working before you keep poking it and it get an issue.

Jul 3, 2023
I think, I will leave it in this Ram configuration even not in ideal order…

I consider buying a new Intel PC, for video editing…

Well I look online and found HP, Lenovo or Dell good Desktops but i7 13xyz K 13-gen processor, well is it worth awaiting for 14-gen or 14-gen ultra for desktops…?