Question HP24f external monitor randomly crashes computer

Jul 11, 2020
Once a day or so, my new HP24f external monitor turns all while, or green, or yellow, and the computer starts making a loud continuous sound and stops working. I then have to manually shut down the computer by pressing the power button. No pattern in when this happens. sometimes many programs open, sometimes now. sometimes early morning, sometimes end of day. monitor is new. computer is DELL XP15. I go to Windows Event Viewer but can't find any further information on the error. The only thing logged is "the system has reboted without cleaning shutting down first". There's nothing under "Hardware events"

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020
Thank you. I cleaned vents/fan and updated the Dell BIOS but unfortunately that did not solve the problem. The monitor keeps freezing my PC every day. I am not sure what to do and even how to check what is the problem. For no apparent reason, the monitor becomes single-colour and the PC stops working. No reaction at all, even in the computers's own monitor. So I am forced to press the on/off button to shut down. I cannot find any information on Windows Event Viewer other than my forcing the computer to shut down. There is no information on what caused the monitor to crash. Where can I find such information in Windows?

hang-the-9

Titan
Thank you. I cleaned vents/fan and updated the Dell BIOS but unfortunately that did not solve the problem. The monitor keeps freezing my PC every day. I am not sure what to do and even how to check what is the problem. For no apparent reason, the monitor becomes single-colour and the PC stops working. No reaction at all, even in the computers's own monitor. So I am forced to press the on/off button to shut down. I cannot find any information on Windows Event Viewer other than my forcing the computer to shut down. There is no information on what caused the monitor to crash. Where can I find such information in Windows?
That is not the monitor, it's the computer crashing. Does the system work fine with just the laptop screen if you use that for a day or two? Or try with another video cable? Test with one RAM stick at a time or different RAM. There is a memory testing program called memtest you can use, that can help.

Jul 11, 2020
Thank you. The computer worked fine for 8 years. It crashed for the first time 10 minutes after I connected my new HP24f external monitor. It crashes about once a day whenever the monitor is connected. When the monitor is not connected, it never crashes. So it must be something wrong with the monitor. Unfortunately now it's too late to return it to the shop. I tried to download memtest and wrote the image to a USB stick but it does not work. When I press F12 to try to boot from the USB stick, I get the message "Operating system not found".

hang-the-9

Titan
Thank you. The computer worked fine for 8 years. It crashed for the first time 10 minutes after I connected my new HP24f external monitor. It crashes about once a day whenever the monitor is connected. When the monitor is not connected, it never crashes. So it must be something wrong with the monitor. Unfortunately now it's too late to return it to the shop. I tried to download memtest and wrote the image to a USB stick but it does not work. When I press F12 to try to boot from the USB stick, I get the message "Operating system not found".
Did you try another monitor with the laptop? The monitor can't cause crashing it just displays what the laptop sends to it, maybe the port it's on is bad or the video card. Need to test with another monitor, it will probably do the same thing.

Jul 11, 2020
Did you try another monitor with the laptop? The monitor can't cause crashing it just displays what the laptop sends to it, maybe the port it's on is bad or the video card. Need to test with another monitor, it will probably do the same thing.
I made an experiment and extended the displays across the external monitor and the laptop's own monitor. After the last all-green screen crash in the external monitor, I checked the laptop's own monitor and it was still OK. So the computer itself did not crash. It was the external monitor that stopped working, showing a green screen and causing the computer to make a continuous sound. When I pressed the setting buttons under the monitor, I could see their menus on the monitor (but couldn't solve the green screen problem by clicking on any button). Furthermore, I could not do anything in the computer. The mouse and keyboard did not work. So the crash of the external monitor caused the laptop to freeze, not to crash. The only solution for this was to force the computer to shut down, losing all my work. So the problem is the external monitor; it's crashing anf causing the laptop to freeze. I am losing a lot of unsaved work every day so I'm about to throw the monitor away, as this situation is unsustainable. I wish I could understand what is going on. Are there any diagnostics that I can access on Windows to learn what is causing the monitor to crash?

hang-the-9

Titan
The monitor can't crash. They can stop displaying things or the LCD screen can go bad, but they don't crash. It's the video card external output or maybe cable causing some electrical issue with the external video port. You can try a different cable or another monitor and see how things run.

ASK THE COMMUNITY