• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Pi Cast Episode 3 streams live on Tuesday, August 4th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Catch Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 6th at 2:00 pm ET (7:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question HP24f external monitor randomly crashes computer

Jul 11, 2020
Once a day or so, my new HP24f external monitor turns all while, or green, or yellow, and the computer starts making a loud continuous sound and stops working. I then have to manually shut down the computer by pressing the power button. No pattern in when this happens. sometimes many programs open, sometimes now. sometimes early morning, sometimes end of day. monitor is new. computer is DELL XP15. I go to Windows Event Viewer but can't find any further information on the error. The only thing logged is "the system has reboted without cleaning shutting down first". There's nothing under "Hardware events"

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020
Thank you. I cleaned vents/fan and updated the Dell BIOS but unfortunately that did not solve the problem. The monitor keeps freezing my PC every day. I am not sure what to do and even how to check what is the problem. For no apparent reason, the monitor becomes single-colour and the PC stops working. No reaction at all, even in the computers's own monitor. So I am forced to press the on/off button to shut down. I cannot find any information on Windows Event Viewer other than my forcing the computer to shut down. There is no information on what caused the monitor to crash. Where can I find such information in Windows?

hang-the-9

Titan
Thank you. I cleaned vents/fan and updated the Dell BIOS but unfortunately that did not solve the problem. The monitor keeps freezing my PC every day. I am not sure what to do and even how to check what is the problem. For no apparent reason, the monitor becomes single-colour and the PC stops working. No reaction at all, even in the computers's own monitor. So I am forced to press the on/off button to shut down. I cannot find any information on Windows Event Viewer other than my forcing the computer to shut down. There is no information on what caused the monitor to crash. Where can I find such information in Windows?
That is not the monitor, it's the computer crashing. Does the system work fine with just the laptop screen if you use that for a day or two? Or try with another video cable? Test with one RAM stick at a time or different RAM. There is a memory testing program called memtest you can use, that can help.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS