[SOLVED] Huge, consistent ping after 3 Hops

Sep 26, 2019
I already have a problem of ping spikes on which I made a forum post on Tom's Hardware which can be found here. (I later realised the ping spikes don't affect games other than ROBLOX.)

Yesterday while playing Rainbow Six Siege, I suddenly noticed that I had 400 ms of ping. So I checked PingPlotter to see what was going on.
Pingplotter Image Here (Couldn't insert image in thread)

The 20% Packet Loss is my ping spike problem, which my ISP can fix. But, after the third hop, everything looks bad and that's the issue I'm trying to fix.
The confusing part is, it only happens on some sites. I traced www.pingplotter.com in the image, but in google and YouTube, everything looks fine. CMD provides the same results.
Pingplotter image Here, but google

I also don't have a router, yet. The line from my ISP is directly connected to my PC, and its a fibre connection. I didn't do much changes to my connection except change the DNS to 1.1.1.1. I tried changing it back, but it had no effect.
Discord Voice chat was unaffected by the high ping.
I called my ISP, but then they said that they didn't know what ping was. They said they'll send a person, but he will take 1-2 days to come.
Is there anything I can do on my side to fix this?

Solution
The high ping times are normal if that represents a international fiber hop. Not sure where pingplotter site actual is but it is not likely in the same country as you live in.

You need to test more sites. The second one implies your network has no issues at all.

You need to be very careful how you read these tools. The packet loss in hop 2 is not likely not actual packet loss. Routers are designed to favor actual traffic over ping traffic. If they are busy they will ignore ping traffic. In some cases routers will only respond to a certain number of ping/trace commands per second to prevent denial of service attacks.

In any case this ping loss does not actually affect you. Even in the first case where you have very high...
The high ping times are normal if that represents a international fiber hop. Not sure where pingplotter site actual is but it is not likely in the same country as you live in.

You need to test more sites. The second one implies your network has no issues at all.

You need to be very careful how you read these tools. The packet loss in hop 2 is not likely not actual packet loss. Routers are designed to favor actual traffic over ping traffic. If they are busy they will ignore ping traffic. In some cases routers will only respond to a certain number of ping/trace commands per second to prevent denial of service attacks.

In any case this ping loss does not actually affect you. Even in the first case where you have very high latency you do not have any loss the final hop. If you believe that hop 8 for example has 100% packet loss how would you even see traffic to hop 9. If you were really losing 20% of your traffic you would see the 20% loss in every node past the hop causing the issue.

Nothing you have posted shows a actual issue with the network. You have to do some more careful testing to find a real problem in the network. You may be better off with manual ping and tracert commands so you are not mislead by the fancy easy to use tools.

Solution