Huge delay before booting into Windows and BIOS after a SSD install on a Acer Aspire V3-771

Aug 24, 2018
After three days of trying to find a fix on my problem with my computer I have come to a dead end and have to ask here for a solution.

After five years of using the original 1tb 5400rpm hard drive I was furious for the slowness of it and bought a 120Gb Kingston UV500 SSD to install in it and use the old hard drive as a secondary drive as the laptop has two hard drive slots.

Installing the SSD the laptop starts to hang on the Acer logo for five minutes and after then it starts to boot into windows or when pressing F2 on boot, boots into BIOS. At first I was not patient enough to wait the 5 minutes and thought my SSD was broken, even though it was right out of the box brand new.

After pulling out the SSD again the computer let me get into BIOS right after pressing the power button and boot correctly into Windows, which was still on the hard drive. After trying numerous times to find out the problem; boot order, hard drive mode, turning on legacy or UEFI bios, none of them work.

After leaving on the computer to make food for myself and when I came back, I found out that the computer had booted on the windows 10 install thumb drive I had made for installing Windows 10 on the SSD.

So basically the SSD works on the computer, but there is a 5 minute delay on the Acer logo before even Windows starts working and booting into bios also takes the same 5 minutes. Like the computer freezes for a specific time and then continues to work normally.

After installing Windows, I tried to update all the drivers, install the latest firmware on the SSD, updating the BIOS and still wouldn't work.

Could it be because I swapped the processor couple years ago from a i3-3310M to a i7-3540M?

Edit: I've narrowed down the problem to my BIOS in this computer. Is it possible to install a custom BIOS and get it fixed that way?

How new is this latest bios ? It seems to me there are two possibilities, either the drive is bad or the board is not up to the task. So I would try returning the drive under warranty as the least inconvenient option and if that's no help then buy a new board.

The third option is to just live with it but I wouldn't.

And no, there is no custom bios.