Huge Frame Drops & Lag Spikes with the GTX 1070.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

theRTT

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016
So I need help. I am getting big frame drops in games. Let's take Star Wars Battlefront as an example. I didn't had this problem before and it started today.. I have in the bigger game modes (walker assault etc.) around the 100 FPS. For some reason I am having big frame drops since today. Frame drops to 50 FPS sometimes... This really makes me sad and mad. Because I payed al lot of money for this GPU and PC. The lag spikes are really random and occur out of nowhere.

Also in GTA V I am suddenly having big lag spikes. When I drive around, when I normally had no lag spikes or sometimes had a really small one, I am now having lag spikes constant.

I even have lag spikes with V-Sync on. Than it happens that there are small frame drops from 60 to 59-57.

The Temperature of both my GPU and CPU are fine. GPU : around 70 celsius. CPU : around 56 celsius.
Drivers up too date.
GPU usage around 90%.
CPU usage around 90% sometimes peeking to 99%.
Enough space on my SSD and HDD.

This is really weird because as I have mentioned multiple times, it just started today..

Origin has crashed twice since today. That also never happened before.

This is my PC:

Intel i5 4460.
EVGA Geforce GTX 1070 FTW
16GB Ram.
Z97S SLI Krait Edition.
1000 GB HDD.
250 EVO Samsung SSD.
Seasonic M12II Evo 620W.
Windows 10

theRTT

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016
So I played Star Wars Battlefront yesterday. But nothing changed. The only thing is that I actually reach that 150 FPS. But that also depends on which map I play of course. Still, when I get near by or when I look at the AT-AT, the FPS drops back to around 80 FPS. Or when there are a lot of players around the same spot. That causes my FPS to drop. I see other players on Youtube not having this problem. Their FPS stays around 120 at those moments. When I am around those spots, the screen also feels not very smooth, but stuttery. I really feel the difference between those situations and when I am have some smooth gameplay. Which I don't have all the time in Star Wars Battlefront.

Maybe it is an issue from the game itself? That it is not very well optimised anymore after some patches? I don't know it anymore. I will look again at my CPU usage when I am in those "Low FPS Situations". I will also try other games. Otherwise I think it's save to say it is the fault of Star Wars Battlefront itself.

Any other suggestions what may cause my "low FPS"?

theRTT

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016

I played Star Wars Battlefront again yesterday. But other game modes. I don't know if you know that game (; . But when I come close to the walker or look at it, my FPS drops. So I played other game modes on the same big maps, like the game mode supremacy. I didn't had the big frame drops. It still dropped to around 100 FPS sometimes, but that is something that happens to everyone, with the gtx 1070 of course.

I am starting to think that the At-At is somehow causing these frame drops. Like the game is not very well optimised. It can be that it came with the Death Star DLC. There were also some DLC and patches which brought real bad FPS drops when there were more than 2 heroes in the game. A lot of people had that problem, especially on PC. That is fixed for now. So it may be caused by the game not being optimised very well.

I will check it on other games, I didn't had much time last evening. Tomorrow is the day that I also finally can play Battlefield 1! (; (at least I hope so). I will test that game for sure. I really hope that game runs well. Because than I can certainly say it is the fault of Star Wars Battlefront.