[SOLVED] Huge ping spikes over ethernet.

Jan 21, 2020
I've had this problem for a few months now where a few hours every night my ping spikes regularly. If i ping the router directly over an ethernet connection i get <1 ms regularly with >1000 ms for 1 secound every maybe 30 secounds for a few hours.

I have checked and re checked all the connections and I have restarted the router many times in the last hour.

EDIT:
Just putting this here
View: https://imgur.com/a/Dlv841K

This is the results from five minutes from ping plotter. With the highest peak being 1200 ms

Solution
I would try a firmware upgrade on the router. Pretty much this means you send the packet to the router and it is doing something that delays its ability to respond. The transmissions in the cable themselves is close to the speed of light so the only place the delay can be in the router firmware.
Almost has to be your PC. I would try another device and see if it also gets ping spikes. That would mean it is the router.

Still pretty much the only thing in the router that will cause this is some reason the CPU is too busy to respond. You could try a firmware upgrade in case it is a bug.

In the pc check that you do not have any so called "accelerator" software installed. This sometimes comes bundled with the motherboard.

Jan 21, 2020
Almost has to be your PC. I would try another device and see if it also gets ping spikes. That would mean it is the router.

Still pretty much the only thing in the router that will cause this is some reason the CPU is too busy to respond. You could try a firmware upgrade in case it is a bug.

In the pc check that you do not have any so called "accelerator" software installed. This sometimes comes bundled with the motherboard.
I have tested two other computers on the network and they both get the lag spikes

I would try a firmware upgrade on the router. Pretty much this means you send the packet to the router and it is doing something that delays its ability to respond. The transmissions in the cable themselves is close to the speed of light so the only place the delay can be in the router firmware.

Solution