[SOLVED] Huge ping spikes

ruanwagenaar27

Honorable
Sep 5, 2017
Need some info im currently with a wireless isp, i have a ubiquiti on my roof and the tenda router in my house, my isp decided to open the line to full capacity for me so im getting between 20 to 40mbps. While im playing modern warfare i get heavy ping spikes from 40 to like 300+ can the problem maybe be because im having an open line? I noticed that line speed is not constant it jumpes between 20 - to 40? I allso get packetloss ingame

Solution
It is wifi and it does not share radio bandwidth well. It is made even worse when you are using mulitple directional antenna since the end stations can not hear each other and transmit at the same time. Wifi is half duplex with no central control. It depends on the end device to not transmit on top of each other. In addiion people closer to the main tower can over power people farther away. It was not really designed to be used as your ISP is doing. It mostly works but as the load increases you get more conflict between stations.

There is no fix for this really other than to not use wifi. Many WISP operators use specialize radio units that are not "wifi". They use the same radio frequencies but have central control...
It is wifi and it does not share radio bandwidth well. It is made even worse when you are using mulitple directional antenna since the end stations can not hear each other and transmit at the same time. Wifi is half duplex with no central control. It depends on the end device to not transmit on top of each other. In addiion people closer to the main tower can over power people farther away. It was not really designed to be used as your ISP is doing. It mostly works but as the load increases you get more conflict between stations.

There is no fix for this really other than to not use wifi. Many WISP operators use specialize radio units that are not "wifi". They use the same radio frequencies but have central control where the main radio must give the end stations permission to transmit. This works very similar to how cell towers work. The most modern WISP equipment actually uses LTE over the wifi bands. Ubiquiti does make actual WISP equipment but I suspect from your problem description your ISP is just using simple wifi bridges.

In the end though you a end user can do nothing at all. All you can do is make sure that your antenna is pointed correctly and no trees etc are blocking it. Any improvement would have to come from the ISP.

Solution