Question Humming Noise When Using AUX on screen.

Apr 18, 2022
Good afternoon/morning.

My son decided he didn't like the T.V anymore so decided to give it a few wacks to show it really who is boss apparently... Nevertheless... It's finished.

Thankfully I managed to find a screen to use in the meantime whilst he saves his money to buy me a new one. All is well. Apparently not. When I plugged my speakers into the AUX port of this "New" screen shall we say. It gives off this really annoying humming/buzzing sound.

I've heard it could be something called a ground loop or something and it can usually be fixed by plugged everything into the same outlet/extension bar, but this didn't work when I tried. I took the screen into a different room just incase and plugged just the power and some headphones in. The noise was now coming through the headphones.

The speakers built into the TV work perfectly fine with just the HDMI but it sound like I'm on a caravan holiday back in the 90's so would much prefer to use my speakers.

I'm just wondering if anyone would have any idea what this sound could be and why it's doing it. I'd add a video of the noise however... I don't know how to do this.

All the best!

EDIT: I managed to upload a video of the noise onto YouTube. Hopefully it helps! You can hear the noise come and go in the video, that's just my camera. The noise is always on.

Link:
View: https://youtu.be/gFdzN83jSkU?si=f511Cg2sj0T0aeaI

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
I would not expect a ground loop if all of the original connection paths are being used with only the new screen in place of the old screen/TV.

Make and model "New" screen?

Source?

What other audio ports (if any) are available?

My thought would be that AUX port is using different standards/connectivity.

I.e., TS, TRS, TRRS.

FYI:

https://www.cablechick.com.au/blog/understanding-trrs-and-audio-jacks/

All the more so if speakers behave differently than headphones.

Look at the plugs. However, the difference may be in the audio port(s).

Apr 18, 2022
I would not expect a ground loop if all of the original connection paths are being used with only the new screen in place of the old screen/TV.

Make and model "New" screen?

Source?

What other audio ports (if any) are available?

My thought would be that AUX port is using different standards/connectivity.

I.e., TS, TRS, TRRS.

FYI:

https://www.cablechick.com.au/blog/understanding-trrs-and-audio-jacks/

All the more so if speakers behave differently than headphones.

Look at the plugs. However, the difference may be in the audio port(s).
• Ah yes sorry I probably should have mentioned that. The screen is: Hikvision ds-d5032fc-a

• What do you mean by source?

• Only other audio ports to use that I can see are HDMI and that works perfectly fine. The noise is only happening when something is plugged into the Audio Out port on the screen itself.

• My thoughts were perhaps I need a different type of AUX cable. I did a little research but it went over my head mostly. The most I got out of it was there's such things as balanced cables and non balanced cables but it only matters if the screen supports balanced. I know nothing much about audio unfortunately.

I've just read that these screens were designed for security monitoring etc. Would that make a difference also the PC output says 3.5mm mini jack. What's a mini jack?

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Source = where new screen was purchased or obtained.

Could not really tell because the video moves too fast and is a bit blurry. However, I noted a power strip full of power adapters and what looked like some sort of external brackets and screws attached. Antenna's

Two thoughts: there is a loop and/or interference.

Balanced vs unbalanced:

https://www.boxcast.com/blog/balanc...ferences,signal without any extraneous noises.

Mini jack: 3.5 mm plug = 1/8" plug

Apr 18, 2022
Source = where new screen was purchased or obtained.

Could not really tell because the video moves too fast and is a bit blurry. However, I noted a power strip full of power adapters and what looked like some sort of external brackets and screws attached. Antenna's

Two thoughts: there is a loop and/or interference.

Balanced vs unbalanced:

https://www.boxcast.com/blog/balanc...ferences,signal without any extraneous noises.

Mini jack: 3.5 mm plug = 1/8" plug

Hi!
Yeah sorry about the blurry video, I'm not the best with a camera apparently. The power strip is full of plugs, these consist of;
• Screen
• Speakers
• Playstation 4
I believe. However, I've took the screen itself into another room with just that plugged in and some headphones and the noise was coming through the phones with only the screen plugged into the power.

The brackets you can see on the back are from where the screen was wall mounted previously, I just haven't gotten round to taking it off as it helps the screen stand up when it's on the floor.

I got the screen from someone at work. I mentioned the boy has broken the T.V at home and they said there was one sitting in a room doing nothing I was welcome to take. It just needed a bit of dusting.

Maybe I should try an AUX cable with TRRS and see if that makes a difference of any sort.

All the best!