Hybrid Drive and Windows 8

Clueless02

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2013
Hey guys im new to the forums and have a quick question. I have an HP Envy 15 Laptop with a 750 GB hybrid hard drive. This type of drive essentially stores the windows start up files and other commonly used files in the solid state portion of the drive so they start up and perform quicker. Furthermore my school offer a free windows 8 upgrade program which I would like to take advantage of. My question to you is will upgrading to windows 8 render this function of my hard drive useless? Any advice on the matter is greatly appreciated.

Solution
The caching in a SSHD is an internal function controlled by the drive itself. The only way to make it not work is to use files in some way that would prevent consistent caching. Windows 8 should not do this and you should be performing as fast as ever as soon as files begin to be sent to the flash memory.

gbryan101

Honorable
May 28, 2013
The caching in a SSHD is an internal function controlled by the drive itself. The only way to make it not work is to use files in some way that would prevent consistent caching. Windows 8 should not do this and you should be performing as fast as ever as soon as files begin to be sent to the flash memory.

Solution

Clueless02

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2013

Ok, thank you so much! So basically the Hard Drive self determines which files are used most frequently(i.e. start up files)?

gbryan101

Honorable
May 28, 2013

That about it exactly.