[SOLVED] I’m gonna go and buy my pc parts tonight! Does anything need changing before I do so, or should I go ahead?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jun 6, 2020
PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xDFhwh

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($166.89 @ Walmart)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON MAX WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($159.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($179.70 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($114.99 @ Corsair)
Case Fan: be quiet! Pure Wings 2 120 PWM 87 CFM 120 mm Fan ($20.00 @ B&H)
Total: $1306.51
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-06 10:57 EDT-0400

Solution
The fact that you are using just a regular RYzen 5 3600, you wouldnt need much more than 3000mhz to 3200mhz. I myself run the Ryzen 5 3600x and after a alot of reading 3200mhz was the best option. 1TB of NVME would be More than enough for you. I just wasnt sure if it was because you needed it as you are a programer or need it for making and editing music and or videos. 650w isnt going to be enough fi you plan on overclocking and you have to remember EVERYTHING uses POWER. Case Fans Keyboards, mouse, monitor, Speakers. and since you mention overclocking that eats up more power as well. Just keep that in mind with your PSU. Your Graphics Card alone eats up 550W. leaving you with 100w for everything else. you will run into problems...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's why Seagate has several different models of the same thing. At least with WD, it's relatively easy to pick out the Gold and Black vrs Red and Green.

As far as prices go, I'll stick with the 1Tb WD, their failure rate in my book is a lot lower than Seagates atm.

johnsoner13

Respectable
PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xDFhwh

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($166.89 @ Walmart)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON MAX WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($159.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($179.70 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($114.99 @ Corsair)
Case Fan: be quiet! Pure Wings 2 120 PWM 87 CFM 120 mm Fan ($20.00 @ B&H)
Total: $1306.51
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-06 10:57 EDT-0400
I’d just go ahead and buy that, good list with quality looking parts, don’t need to overthink it.

That 2TB model he had listed is very poor. SMR drive. SMR (Shingled Magnetic Recording) drives are a result of shady practice and are a total rip-off. Many people would not buy them if they understood it's true specifications. They have fewer platters than normal PMR drives, and suffer very poor write performance.
Yep, though for bulk file storage and other tasks that typically don't require a lot of random write performance, it will likely serve its purpose well enough. If one cares about storage performance enough to pay significantly more per-GB for one hard drive over another, then they would in turn see even more performance gains by swapping that hard drive with SSD storage. Either way, hard drives are not going to be great for performance-intensive tasks relative to SSDs, and at this point are best suited for storing bulk data at a reduced cost.

I’d just go ahead and buy that, good list with quality looking parts, don’t need to overthink it.
I agree. As I said before, the initial build seemed fine. There's no need to completely redesign it. One could maybe sneak a little more performance out of it by swapping that 970 Evo for some less expensive NVMe drive and putting that money toward other parts, but overall it seems like a fine build.

Ferimer

Distinguished
Dang you guys truly go for the neck on people's posts eh. I based his power supply recommended on the fact that Best Buy -where hes buying the GPU from lists it at 550w. Just trying to make sure he double checks it all. PC part picker doesnt always give the most accurate of Wattage usage. For an extra $5 he could get 750w gold and not have to worry, but go with 550w if you think 650w is overkill but in 2 weeks time when you make a post wondering why the hell your computer keeps shutting down or things arent working properly just know that you were given a heads up. The reason for the 3200mhz ram is due to its timings. You could boost the ram to 3600mhz and be fine and have the better timings at a cheaper cost and still get 3600mhz out of it. But like I mentioned before its ultimately your choice. 90% of gamers will probably tell you that you shouldnt game with WiFi dependent on the game. Playing fast pace FPS games like CS Go. Battlefield V CoD. Anything that relies heavily of internet connection pairs best with a wired connection. Hence the WiFi drop on the board and a better board overall. But again your choice in the end on what you want to do.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ahh grasshopper, you are so close but so far away. The 550w is a recommendation for the size of the psu to cover the entirety of the pc. The gpu is the largest power draw in almost any gaming pc, most cpus will fall into an average draw. Figure a standard cpu will pull @ 100w±. At best, you'll have 6-10w tied up in fans, 20w in storage, 20w in ram and maybe upto 50w in other stuff like usb for keyboards, mice and a phone charger, audio etc. Grand total for your average pc figure at 200w for everything maxed out.

Then add a gpu which can be anywhere from 75w-375w. That's where you'll determine the size needed by the psu. For your 75w(ish) GT1030 - gtx750ti, 1660, Rx570 etc a 450w psu is plenty. That covers easily the 200+75w.

With a 175w gpu, maxed out would be 375w, but even heavy gaming us only @ 70% load on the psu, or @ 260w. Even heavy OC only adds less than 100w, so 360w. A 550w psu will cover the 360w and still keep inside the 50-70% best efficiency and thermal range for the psu.

Also figure that psus are NOT created equal there's a massive difference between a Bestbuy Insignia (that's actually bestbuys house branding) 750w and a Corsair RMx 750w. The insignia is cheaply built, no protections worth mentioning and adds in the 3.3v and 5v rails to make up the difference. It's realistically a 450w psu at best. Not the 750w advertised.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f6snWfd1v7M

A quality 550w is all that's required. Lowering quality to bump up artificial wattage... Eh, bad news. As seen from that video, look at 'Rated' (claimed) wattage vs actual wattage at load. A quality psu will handle 100%+ continuous rated wattage.

80+ is an efficiency certificate given by a third party. It's not a standard nor a claim to quality. Nobody can arbitrarily slap a 'Bronze' or 'Gold' rating on a psu that's not been sent to the folks at 80plus for verification. But it's still just a measure of efficiency. I've seen fake 700w psus rated at 80+ Gold that have a single 6pin pcie. That's a possible 150w sent to the gpu. Leaving 550w to power a 200w pc. Any 700w Gold rated psu worth its salt should have a minimum of 4x 6+2pin pcie.

Size and 80+ is not a determination of Quality.

It's not that we 'go for the neck on people's posts', it's just most of us are kind enough to do our utmost to prevent others from sticking 'their necks' on the chopping block to save $5.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS