[SOLVED] I’m planning to build a PC in the near future and wanted some feedback on my list.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 4, 2020
Please keep your new build discussion to 1 thread.
I wanted to save some money on my new PC. My friend and I have been tweaking this list for 5 months now, preparing. If there’s anything different you’d do, please let me know. Feedback would be great!
The PC will be used for gaming in 1080p 144hz (GTA V, Minecraft, Warzone, Roblox), streaming (sometimes), recording, editing 1080p footage (DaVinci Resolve 16), and potentially Linux for ethical hacking.

PCPartPicker List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ggFX4n

Also I had a few questions:
  1. Would I need a fan splitter or any cables for the 2 extra fans on the list? If so, can you give me a link.
  2. Anywhere I can save a bit of money?
  3. Are there better parts suited for my budget of $1000? (The budget is for the PC parts, not including the monitor).

Edit: Updated Link

Last edited:
Solution
Sorry I didn’t interpret that correctly the first time. Should I be getting an NVME SSD or an M.2 SSD? And what’s the difference?
These are the same drives the regular SSD is actually lower priced with the exact performance.
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/6j448d,LRkj4D/

These NVME drives are much faster the Crucial P1 is faster than what you have listed the WD drive is better quality for just a couple bucks more. In real life performance their not much difference unless your just running benchmarks but their still faster.
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/xpYLrH,KTQG3C/

For your fans their not really going to match colors (sync) because your buying 2 different models. The case comes with SP pros...
Aug 4, 2020
No biggie just seen things that I would not do and were not really right. For the Power Line adapters these get plugged directly in the wall outlet DO NOT plug them into a power strip or surge protector. As for my results their were very little difference in a direct cable and the PL kit the kit I listed is better than mine so if your direct cable speed is faster then the PL kit should still be close.

Make sure you read my post again I EDITED it a few times for things I left off that I thought would matter!

A down vote don't bother me if I'm wrong, I think one time I was wrong but don't really remember I think I was like 3 years old!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :);)🆒:benetton::homer::)

Run the Speed test you might be surprised what your actually getting.
Got it, thanks again.

Aug 4, 2020
For a build around this price range, I probably wouldn't spend $40 on a 24-pin motherboard extension cable that doesn't serve much purpose aside from looking a little bit nicer. That's roughly the difference between going with a 500GB SSD and a 1TB SSD.

And if you are going to spend money on zip-ties to manage cables, I would go with the reusable velcro variety instead, as those can be found on sites like Amazon for a similar price. Search Amazon for "velcro ties" and you should find a variety of "hook and loop" ties from various brands. The traditional plastic zip ties tend to be rather annoying when you want to unhook some cable and find you need cut a bunch of hard plastic bands to get it undone, then re-apply a new set afterward. The velcro ties tend to be a lot more convenient.

Also, the current cost of a B450 Tomahawk combined with that $35 wireless card adds up to $160, so you might be better off going with a board with Wi-fi built-in, if you feel you really need it. Or, I know things like powerline adapters were mentioned above, but have you considered the practicality of simply running an ethernet cable from your room to the router? A wired connection will generally be more reliable and can perform better, and standard round CAT5e or better cable can be run hundreds of feet, if needed. You should probably stay away from the flat variety for long runs though, as it can be more prone to interference.
I was following a build guide on YouTube but tweaked a bunch of stuff. Is that 24-pin PSU Sleeved Cable necessary or can I do without it? And also, if I don’t use it, will it just be a black cable? (It’s my first time building a PC)

Aug 4, 2020
No biggie just seen things that I would not do and were not really right. For the Power Line adapters these get plugged directly in the wall outlet DO NOT plug them into a power strip or surge protector. As for my results their were very little difference in a direct cable and the PL kit the kit I listed is better than mine so if your direct cable speed is faster then the PL kit should still be close.

Make sure you read my post again I EDITED it a few times for things I left off that I thought would matter!

A down vote don't bother me if I'm wrong, I think one time I was wrong but don't really remember I think I was like 3 years old!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :);)🆒:benetton::homer::)

Run the Speed test you might be surprised what your actually getting.
FYI I updated the link to the list with all the advice everyone gave, especially you.

Aug 4, 2020
One other thought would be getting a newer B550 instead of a B450 motherboard. Same amout of money will get you a board with a newer chipset, better VRM setup, pci-e 4.0. All of which increase the boards upgrade path.
Here's a couple b550 options for around the same price as that b450
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/NT7p99,39LwrH/
The B550s are Micro ATX and the B450 I have is ATX. Are there any downsides to Micro ATX? Would I have to get a smaller GPU?