I am buying a new computer.

anthonyarcand

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
Hello,
I do not know where but probably at a big box store, since they usually stand behind each computer. Though I want to know what is the best CPU, but I have already got one in mind. An intel CPU I7-something?

maucerit

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012
If its for gaming just get intel i5 3570K make sure its K if you want to OC. ony main differnce in i7 (unless you go for like 6 or more cores) is hyper threading. Currently and for the forseeable future no game uses hyper threading so generally there is no performance in gaming between i5 and i7. Unless you do not have a budget then go for it... i7's are very nice CPU's... had a very good one in my gaming laptop and no matter what i did would never go about 10 percent useage lol. i7 are quick helpful for video editing boot times ect but OC i5 3570K will do extremely well have one in my gaming desktop and no regrets.

We'll need more info. Depending on what you do, a better cpu may not do anything. Could you fill this out? http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/353572-31-build-upgrade-advice Also building it yourself could save $300+ and you'll get better quality parts. By big box store I think you mean a brick and mortar store. Everything has a warranty so the only advantage would be the ability to drive there for a return. After the return period you are at the hands of the manufacturer so the store standing behind it really doesn't matter.

@mauce, Don't confuse use of ht vs use of 3+ threads. If you have an i3, or dare I say a single core with ht, many games "use" ht. (They can't see ht.) I7 will also not help boot times with an otherwise capable cpu like an i5.