Question I am getting bad ping spikes in relation to a powerline adapter!

May 4, 2020
Hello,
I have recently been experiencing quite bad ping spikes in online games, which occur every minute or so and last about 15 seconds. I have managed to isolate the cause to a TP-link power-line adaptor which links my router to my dad's outside office by Ethernet. When this is connected and internet in the office is being used, the ping spikes occur. Does anyone know if anything can be done to fix this issue, for example is there a way to prioritise one Ethernet port on my router over another? Many thanks :)

RealBeast

Titan
If the problem is with the adapter connection, nothing done at the router would help.
Which model TP-Link powerline adapters?
Common sources of interference come from defective adapters, and things on the same circuit like: large motors (like fans and appliances), florescent lights particularity seems worse if the ballast is going and the lights flicker.

You might try resetting the adapter pair. Also change out the cables used to connect the adapters to the router and computer.

May 4, 2020
Thank you for the quick reply. I'm not sure whether the problem is with adapter connection, or wiring in the house or whatever. The model is the TL-PA8010P. We have tried both resetting the adapters and changing out the cable. Furthermore, the issue only occurs when the internet in the office is being used, the rest of the time the issue is non-existent, so the fan/fluorescent lights probably would not fix (don't have these anyway). I don't mind forking out for new adapters if I knew it would fix the problem for sure, but it is a lot of money to spend to make no difference.

kanewolf

Titan
Thank you for the quick reply. I'm not sure whether the problem is with adapter connection, or wiring in the house or whatever. The model is the TL-PA8010P. We have tried both resetting the adapters and changing out the cable. Furthermore, the issue only occurs when the internet in the office is being used, the rest of the time the issue is non-existent, so the fan/fluorescent lights probably would not fix (don't have these anyway). I don't mind forking out for new adapters if I knew it would fix the problem for sure, but it is a lot of money to spend to make no difference.
Just to have a clear understanding, there is no WIFI involved in your connection, correct. The part number you listed doesn't have WIFI so I just wanted to be sure, this is an ALL wired connection to the router.

May 4, 2020
Just to have a clear understanding, there is no WIFI involved in your connection, correct. The part number you listed doesn't have WIFI so I just wanted to be sure, this is an ALL wired connection to the router.
Yes it is an all wired connection. The office outside requires an Ethernet connection unfortunately.

May 4, 2020
Is that second ethernet connection provided by another powerline unit? If so, the two units share the powerline and could impact each other.
The two power line adapters are a pair and so link together. The Ethernet from the router goes into one adapter which pairs to the other adapter in the office. From here, another Ethernet is used to connect to the devices.

The two power line adapters are a pair and so link together. The Ethernet from the router goes into one adapter which pairs to the other adapter in the office. From here, another Ethernet is used to connect to the devices.
Are your system also in the office? Or does it connect directly to the router via a wired connection?

If it is in the office, this is normal as latency will increase with traffic on the powerline.

If it is not in the office, something is wrong with the router as the switch should be providing dedicated connections 1Gbps to each port and one should not affect another.

May 4, 2020
Are your system also in the office? Or does it connect directly to the router via a wired connection?

If it is in the office, this is normal as latency will increase with traffic on the powerline.

If it is not in the office, something is wrong with the router as the switch should be providing dedicated connections 1Gbps to each port and one should not affect another.
My system is inside my house not in the office and connected to the router via a wired connection. That is strange that it is an apparent problem with my router because when I contacted my ISP originally about this before realising it was a problem with the adapter), they sent me a new router which did not affect the problem.

May 4, 2020

Do you have any further reason as to why this might be happening? It seems that the power line adapters are affecting the router and so any other connections coming out of the router (ie the Ethernet to my PC) are being affected.