[SOLVED] I am in need of a rack that will hold several things.

ingeborgdot

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
I am needing a rack to hold several things.

TP-L Omada switch - https://www.tp-link.com/us/business-networking/omada-sdn-switch/tl-sg3428mp/

TP-L Omada router - https://www.tp-link.com/us/business-networking/omada-sdn-router/er605/

TP-L Omada controller - https://www.tp-link.com/us/business-networking/omada-sdn-controller/oc200/

Server - https://www.newegg.com/hp-elitedesk-800-g3/p/N82E16883997718?Item=9SIAKWUBKY3809

I would like to have my monitor, keyboard and mouse on it also, plus there will be

a UPS https://www.newegg.com/cyberpower-cp1000pfclcd-nema-5-15r/p/N82E16842102132?Item=N82E16842102132

I know there are many of you that are familiar with what would work, so I'm reaching out to the experts.

Thanks for your advice.

Solution
At first I though you were going to have a list of equipment that was actually designed to be rack mounted. The first switch is designed to fit the standard 19 inch rack. Everything else you have is not designed to be rack mounted. You can buy shelves designed to fit standard 19 inch racks. You will likely need a rack that has both front and rear rails to mount a shelf strong enough to hold a UPS. It might be cheaper to find a UPS designed for rack mount than to pay the extra for the second set of rails and the shelf.

Racks have all kinds of feature and only you can put value on them. Some have extra fans or glass doors. Some have fancy cable management.

In your case I suspect you will save a lot of money finding...
At first I though you were going to have a list of equipment that was actually designed to be rack mounted. The first switch is designed to fit the standard 19 inch rack. Everything else you have is not designed to be rack mounted. You can buy shelves designed to fit standard 19 inch racks. You will likely need a rack that has both front and rear rails to mount a shelf strong enough to hold a UPS. It might be cheaper to find a UPS designed for rack mount than to pay the extra for the second set of rails and the shelf.

Racks have all kinds of feature and only you can put value on them. Some have extra fans or glass doors. Some have fancy cable management.

In your case I suspect you will save a lot of money finding some kind of generic equipment cabinet with adjustable shelves. The rail mounting systems in a real computer cabinet are expensive for something you are not using.

If you really want a actual computer rack I would try to find used equipment and hopefully someplace local because the shipping costs is going to be high.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution

ingeborgdot

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
Yes, that is why I was kind of wondering what to do. I figured I would need shelving to make it work, since the smaller items, and server, can't be mounted.
I was just thinking of possibly getting a taller rack to put a pull out drawer and put the server on it, and the monitor, keyboard and mouse on that. It would be about 45", but 20" of that would be used up by the server system. That still leaves good room for the switch, and a rack or 2 to hold whatever else there is left to hook up.

I found a reasonable price rack on B&H that fits the bill perfectly. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1260030-REG/auray_ers_22u_ers_22u_steel_equipment.html/specs
And as for UPS, the floor will work fine.
Thanks.

At least it doesn't have HP prices for shelves still $20 for a simple piece of metal is still high.

The problem you have with shelves like that is stuff can fall off when you push the rack around. You will have to get creative. Double stick foam tape is very sticky :) You could also use your switch for a shelf for the 2 small boxes.

Also if I read it correctly the server you are looking at will be deeper than the shelve and you likely can not not mount it exactly flush to the front of the cabinet.

I am starting to remember why the guys who did the data centers racks did not want us using anything that was not designed for rack mounting.

ingeborgdot

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
The rack will be stationary. It will never move as it will have cabling to it from the wall and terminated to a patch panel, which I forgot to mention.
The PC/server is only 12 " deep, so I don't think that should be a problem.
I will have something to keep the smaller items in place for sure.

Ralston18

Titan
And do not forget the need to provide cooling.

Fans, sufficient power, etc. for wherever the rack is placed. Hopefully a secure/locked location.

Ensure that the rack cannot be moved. Remove the wheels - the cleaning people might try to vacuum under it or maintenance might move the rack to do some work in the area.

Murphy's Law applies.....

The rack will be stationary. It will never move as it will have cabling to it from the wall and terminated to a patch panel, which I forgot to mention.
The PC/server is only 12 " deep, so I don't think that should be a problem.
I will have something to keep the smaller items in place for sure.
So then if this is the case, just get a small shelving unit from ikea and put everything in that--so much cheaper.

ingeborgdot

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
Well, if Ikea were an option. No Ikeas within 4 hrs. By the time I look at shelves etc., the shelves may be cheaper, but this rack is just something that I think will work for what I need now, and also for the future, where we have plans to add to the equipment.

Well, if Ikea were an option. No Ikeas within 4 hrs. By the time I look at shelves etc., the shelves may be cheaper, but this rack is just something that I think will work for what I need now, and also for the future, where we have plans to add to the equipment.
If you have near future plans to add a full rack server that's 1u or 2u, then it's a worthwhile investment and for now you could just stack stuff on the bottom of the rack and switch.
Suggestion of what shelving unit?
I was thinking of the Kallax series as it has some small cubbies where you can put all the little stuff and the pc can stand beside it or be somewhere on top with the keyboard and monitor.