[SOLVED] I am looking to upgrade my gpu from a 1060 3gb but not sure which is best for my budget

Solution
One problem with pre-built pc's is the psu.
They will only be strong enough to power the originally installed components.
The most critical component is the graphics card.
Here is a list of the wattage recommended for various graphics cards:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
GTX1060 3gb needs 450w.
Then, also is the quality of the card. Bronze is only an efficiency rating, it means nothing.
What counts is the ability to deliver amps on the +12v outputs where modern processors and graphics cards need them.
If you will upgrade the psu, look for a quality unit with a 7 to 10 year warranty.
Here is a list of quality tiers:

3060 is going to...

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
Honestly? You might better keep saving and build a new rig altogether. But if that is completely out of the question and for some reason you want to keep this pc, then a 3060ti would be an adequate upgrade. Problem is, the psu is not listed in the components. So what is the exact model of the psu?

Jul 1, 2021
Honestly? You might better keep saving and build a new rig altogether. But if that is completely out of the question and for some reason you want to keep this pc, then a 3060ti would be an adequate upgrade. Problem is, the psu is not listed in the components. So what is the exact model of the psu?
I cant find anything that says the exact model of it but it is a 500w Bronze efficiency PSU

kubacs

Honorable
May 7, 2018
I cant find anything that says the exact model of it but it is a 500w Bronze efficiency PSU

Probably 1660ti, but I would wait as prices are horrific right now, You wouldn't need to replace your psu with the 1660ti, You shouldn't need too anyway, but I still would recommend it, Since your budget is 500-600 dollars, Just buy a new psu probably 650-750w, and replace it, then I would spend the other 400 dollars on a 3060, or the 3060ti, but if you do not want to buy a new psu, the 1660ti would probably a good choice.

Reactions: Bottermas

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
If you can't name your PSU model it's a good reason to upgrade that first as that's what pretty much keeps your PC alive and healthy. Quickly search on Google "PSU tier list" and pick something from the b tier, especially if you plan to get a 3000 series card.

Reactions: Bottermas
I agree, hold tight. A few months back I sold my gtx 1660 super for 475 on eBay. It cost me about 175 to get a gtx 970. You could look at a gtx 980ti which is probably the level of a 1660, but those cards are from 2014. So hold onto your current card and save your money then if prices crash, jump. You may score a good deal either new or on a used mining card if you feel like taking a chance. I’ve bought a few used gpus and had good luck but I like to buy on eBay, at least there you can see feedback for people.

One problem with pre-built pc's is the psu.
They will only be strong enough to power the originally installed components.
The most critical component is the graphics card.
Here is a list of the wattage recommended for various graphics cards:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
GTX1060 3gb needs 450w.
Then, also is the quality of the card. Bronze is only an efficiency rating, it means nothing.
What counts is the ability to deliver amps on the +12v outputs where modern processors and graphics cards need them.
If you will upgrade the psu, look for a quality unit with a 7 to 10 year warranty.
Here is a list of quality tiers:

3060 is going to want 550w.
I have no problem overprovisioning a PSU a bit. Say by 20% for 650/750w.
It will allow for a stronger future graphics card upgrade.
It will run cooler, quieter, and more efficiently in the middle third of it's range.
A PSU will only use the wattage demanded of it, regardless of it's max capability.

Considering current gpu pricing, I would try to wait a bit.
3060 cards without mining capability are coming out soon.

Reactions: RodroX
Solution