I am really frying guys

G

Continuing from my last post "CPU temperature"........

My CPU is running above 90C.

I have not confused Celcius and F, I live in a country where we use metric not imperial. Although, I have to admitt I did double check last night.

I have been advised to use thermal paste, but I get the impression from the post's I have read that it would only drop the temp by 5C. Or is this simply the difference between Arctic Silver and other pastes?

I can rationalise that paste vs no paste would make a big difference. I guess something in the liquid phase will conduct heat more readily than something that is solid. Especially if it is made of something very conductive like silver. Has anyone measured paste vs no paste?

Is it possible that the temperature sensor on my Gigabyte motherboard is simply touching or closer to the CPU than that of an ASUS board. I am basing this assumption on the picture of the thermal sensor in Tom's guide to 17 coolers.

Thanks in advance,
Mike.

JOJO

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
hmm... that's wierd.....
did u get my message?

90C eh?

First of all, was it running ok and for how long?

If you can run your comp for awhile, then i'd guess it could be a faulty sensor.... what type of heat sink are you using?
ANd how long does it take to hit 90C?

also, try touching your heat sink....(ground yourself first)
and if it truly is at 90C, then it would almost be too hot to go near.

as for the thermal compound, the first comp i built didn't use any, and it works just fine, no oc'ing though (tb 700)

maybe go to the gigabyte site and see if they have a newer version of the bios and temperature moniter, sometimes the different version give different readings.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by jojo on 01/26/01 08:47 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hmmmm... My TBird-900 runs at 42C without any paste - only the thermal pad that came on the heatsink (CoolerMaster DP5-6H11). It gets up to about 44C @ 1GHz. Don't remember your other post... what cpu? what voltage is the core running at?

- JW

G

It is an Intel 700, I haven't checked the voltage. I do remember seeing 3 voltage readings in the BIOS though, they ranged from 5V to 12v.

Do Intel chips run at higher temps than AMD? I heard someone say they are more heat tolerant than AMD.

Mordy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
>>also, try touching your heat sink
DON'T!!!
because 63C is the temp that turn your fingers into hotdogs!
(ask Tom , he is a doctor!) (-:

All i can offer you is the truth. Nothing more.

JOJO

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i said "try touching your heat sink, if it really is 90C you won't be able to get near it"

just to clarify that with anyone, if it was really 90C, there would be no way he could get near it... it would be so hot.....thus the "try"

no hotdogs today thank you :)

G

Mine gets as high as 60C.. In just a short time too.. And I'm stock-everything, AMD-approved fan.. Dunno what's up. Using Thermaltake Orb.. And also had a CoolerMaster fan before, thought the orb would be better.. So far, nuttin'. I noticed the stock-paste that came with my CoolerMaster was melted right through.. Is that normal/good/bad/what?

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Maybe a dumb question, but is your CPU fan running properly? Pentium IIIs usually run cooler than AMD, not hotter. I have a Retail PIII 800 running @900 with the stock fan and the CPU temp is usually around 34C. 90C is way too hot!

Good Luck.

"There's no such thing as gravity, the Earth just sucks"

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Are you nuts?

90C is WAY too high!

And thermal grease can make a HUGE difference to using none. That 5 degree difference is between generic grease and Arctic Silver, not between that and no grease. So for the sake of your poor processor, get some paste!

- Sanity is purely based on point-of-view.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Mike, I remember a BIOS issue a while back where it reported double the acutual temp. this sounds like what is happening to you.

Update your BIOS.