mrkilo

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
So I just hooked up my sons gaming rig next to mine and I went to update his NVIDIA geforce 550TI graphics card from the official website and I did a clean install. Everything went fine and it asked for a restart and I said no thanks do it later. I went to run my sons game - EnemyTerritory:QuakeWars and a bunch of errors popped up, so I restarted and now my monitor gets nothing from my video card. Video card not outputting to my monitor. Nothing changed in the hardware or wiring, so obviously I messed something up with incorrectly doing this update. I cant get a picture, how am I supposed to fix this?

Mahisse

Distinguished
Take out the video card and put the monitor cable into the on board "card". Start up the computer. Uninstall all Nvidia graphic drivers. Reboot. Download the latest drivers for geforce 550TI. Shut down the computer. Put the Nvidia card back in and plug the monitor cable back. Start up. Install drivers... Hopefully profit!?

Be sure to uninstall ALL nvidia driver. Use CCleaner.

Mahisse

Distinguished
Take out the video card and put the monitor cable into the on board "card". Start up the computer. Uninstall all Nvidia graphic drivers. Reboot. Download the latest drivers for geforce 550TI. Shut down the computer. Put the Nvidia card back in and plug the monitor cable back. Start up. Install drivers... Hopefully profit!?

Be sure to uninstall ALL nvidia driver. Use CCleaner.

fil1p

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
As Mahisse said, use your integrated graphics if you have them, and then to get rid of the drivers try using driver sweeper(it is made to get rid of graphics drivers), it will get rid off all the leftovers. Then try reinstalling the correct drivers off the manufactures website.

Hope this helps!

mrkilo

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

mrkilo

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

Uninstalled NVIDIA programs via WindowsXP Add/Remove Programs option.
Plugged the 550TI back in and hooked cables up, still no input.

Downloaded CCleaner but I already removed NVIDIA stuff - I don't see any more of the NVIDIA programs.

mrkilo

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
bro - i am hooked up to the motherboards video right now.

i cant get video when hooked up to the 550TI geforce.
Software is on my desktop awaiting hardware but u cant install the driver software without it bein plugged in

mrkilo

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
know what im saying?

The 550 IS plugged in but my monitor cable is in the motherboard. When I start it up with monitor cable in the GPU i get no output. Fan is spinning on the GPU but nada. WTF

No software or driver update will prevent you from getting output before Windows is loaded. If you see no bootup splash screen, the problem is hardware related, and had nothing to do with what you did with drivers. The only type of update that can cause that sort of problem is a BIOS flash.

determinologyz

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012

I had to do the same thing when i installed the 660ti with installing the software off the cd then when everything was fully running i went to nv site to get the current drivers and did a clean install

All graphics cards have a default low res mode that does not need any drivers to display.
That is what you should see when you first see the bios screen.

I think the bios is getting confused as to which display adapter should be used for startup. Some motherboards will use the discrete card if one is present by default. Others will try to use the initial bios display setting regardless.

If you can see the bios with the monitor connected to the integrated adapter, then try changing the default to the discrete card.
After shutting down, attach the monitor to the discrete card and try again.

If you can't see the monitor regardless, check the monitor to see that any input selection switch is properly set to the source you have connected.

When you finally get into windows use system restore to restore to the point where things were working.

mrkilo

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
yea had to do a system restore

issue was getting output to the monitor period. now am good

i feel like this wouldve been resolved if i had used appropriate program to remove ALL previous video settings and not WindowsXp Add/Remove Program to remove the NVIDIA software.

Thank you guys

Glad to see that the issue was resolved.

Using windows 7, I think such upgrades are easier and more trouble free. When upgrading nvidia drivers, the nvidia update does the necessary changes.

You might want to consider a general family upgrade to windows 7.
There is a family pack that includes a activation code good for 3 pc's.
It is hard to find now, since microsoft asked retailers to return all unsold copies of windows 7 when windows 8 was released.
Personally, I found little of value in windows 8, and a few features I did not like so I am sticking with w7.
Here is what I am talking about:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Microsoft-Windows-7-Home-Premium-Family-Pack-32-64-Bit-Retail-3-Users-/321049777420?pt=US_Operating_Systems_Software&hash=item4ac00ed50c