[SOLVED] I built a new pc, but XMP doesnt work. (crashes when it tries booting OS)

Luca_21

Honorable
Aug 1, 2017
Im using Vengeance LPX DDR4 3600Mhz in the Asus Prime Z690-P, CPU is an i5-12600k non-oc
I just started this pc so it could be drivers potentially which im working to get updated, i dont even have my graphics drivers updated yet.
BUT, each time i do any change (like use the built in XMP in Bios) it just doesnt let me boot windows, it lets me back into BIOS fine but thats after it puts itself in "safe mode"

Pls help, i dont wanna be stuck on 2133mhz

Solution
My recommend is to leave XMP off. Boot to Windows and make sure you are on the newest updates. Make sure your motherboard is on the most current and applicable BIOS, if any other revisions exist.

Download CPU-Z. The memory tab will show you the reported JDEC and XMP timings. Write them down or take a picture with your phone. Boot to BIOS and attempt to set those timings manually. Start low and move up to the point the machine won't boot and then back off one. Keep in mind that messing with these timing manually may result in your having to reset CMOS if it won't boot.

Rather unusual out of an Intel machine, but it does happen. It can be worse if you are using a 4X rather than 2X sticks configuration.
Of note, if the RAM is running...

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
My recommend is to leave XMP off. Boot to Windows and make sure you are on the newest updates. Make sure your motherboard is on the most current and applicable BIOS, if any other revisions exist.

Download CPU-Z. The memory tab will show you the reported JDEC and XMP timings. Write them down or take a picture with your phone. Boot to BIOS and attempt to set those timings manually. Start low and move up to the point the machine won't boot and then back off one. Keep in mind that messing with these timing manually may result in your having to reset CMOS if it won't boot.

Rather unusual out of an Intel machine, but it does happen. It can be worse if you are using a 4X rather than 2X sticks configuration.
Of note, if the RAM is running 1.2V you might have to bump the voltage a bit as the RAM gets faster. I do not recommend going over 1.4 and actually would keep a safety net by using 1.35 or the like. I suggest this based on not knowing how robust the VRM on that Prime board are.

It is also of note to double check your motherboards compatibility for RAM to see if it is on the QVL.

Solution