Question I cannot connect to the internet; please help! ("Ethernet" doesn't have a valid IP configuration error)

Sep 12, 2023
( English is not my first language, so please bear with me. )
This problem started yesterday when I tried changing the DNS in my wifi router's settings. After modifying the DNS addresses and clicking save, the router could no longer connect to the Internet: it perpetually showed "connecting" with a yellow dot beside it.

Thinking that something was wrong with the addresses I added, I removed those and switched back on an option called "Obtain DNS server addresses automatically" (I switched this off before changing the DNS). However, this was of no avail as my router still could not connect to the Internet. Following this, I tried connecting my PC directly to the modem instead of connecting it to the wifi router (which was then connected to the modem). However, this also didn't work.

I'm pretty sure that it is not a problem with my ethernet cables (I tried 2 different ones) or my PC, since the same problem persists when I connect the ethernet cable to my laptop. When I ping 8.8.8.8, I get the following message:
Code:
PING: transmit failed. General failure.

Windows Network Diagnostics returns the following error: "Ethernet" doesn't have a valid IP configuration. To fix this, I googled and found the following commands:
Code:
netsh winsock reset

netsh int ip reset

netsh advfirewall reset

ipconfig /flushdns

However, even these did not help.

I've also called the guy from our local ISP and he said that there must be something wrong in my end since in his end he can see that there is a "link" to my modem.

I'm at my wits' end as to figuring out what has gone wrong since my Internet was working just fine before I tried changing the DNS server addresses in my router's settings
Please help...

Sep 12, 2023
Connect pc to modem directly and execute
ipconfig /all

and show screenshot with command output.
(upload to imgur.com and post link)
4Z9qFX8.png

Last edited:
You're not receiving IP address from DHCP.
169.254.x.x is auto configuration (link local) address range.

Try
ipconfig /renew
Check if modem is properly connected to ISP.
Reboot modem.

Last edited: