[SOLVED] I can't connect to router via ethernet, when the router is connected to a repeater via ethernet

Okeanos281

Prominent
Jan 16, 2020
Hi, I have a problem I've been trying to solve for days now.

I live in a big house and i have to use repaters to connect to the internet. I have a D-Link (black one) main router and a HUAWEI (white one) repeater. I have a satellite Internet access and it's connected to my main router via the yellow ethernet cable on the far right LAN port. The routers are connected together with the red ethernet cable. The yellow ethernet cable on the left of the main router connects to my computer. In this state the wifi works perfectly fine and my phone can connect to both routers. I also tried to connect my laptop to the main router and the repeater via ethernet and it works fine in both situations too. But when i connect my desktop pc to one of the routers i can't get any internet on my pc. Everything else still works, the pc knows it's connected and the LAN port lights on the routers light up but there is no Internet.
(I used a short ethernet cable to take the photos but I normally use a 80 feet long cable to connect them together)

The problem isn't the cables because I tried every cable at home in every position and the situation was the same. I dont think the problem is the computer itself either because it works fine when the repeater isn't connected to the main router.

I tried turning everything off for 10 seconds and turning them back on and I could access internet, but after a minute the problem came back.

Solution
Well, I still don't exactly know what was causing the problem and I don't know how the thing I did fixed it but it works for now: I unplugged everything then plugged the main router, turned my pc on and turn the repeater on after everything was set. This way both could connect to the internet with no problems. Thanks everyone for trying to help.

Lutfij

Titan
Check and see if the repeater has any firmware updates available. The point that you made where connectivity is found for 10 seconds and then goes kaput might indicate that the OS on your PC is corrupt or that the drivers for your NIC(wired or wireless) need reinstalling.

Make sure you're on the latest BIOS version for your motherboard, then check to see that you've got the latest OS version. At the time of writing we're on version 20H2 for Windows 10. You can then follow up by uninstalling your networking drivers. Reinstall the latest drivers found off of your motherboard's or adapter's support site and install them in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

It would be nice if there wasn't so much confusion in what devices are called.

In your case since both the router and the repeater are connected via ethernet and you are using the LAN ports it means both these devices are AP. Since it works for most devices it is likely you have it setup correctly.

When you have you desktop hooked up to either device this is the same as putting a small switch infront of your actual router....ie the satellite one.

I suspect your problem is something simple like the pc is not setup for DHCP properly. Do ipconfig /all and see what if any IP address you are getting. Your satellite internet router should be providing them.

The problem can also occur if either of your 2 "AP" are running dhcp functions.

you have an address conflict on the PC, can happen if you have both wireless and ethernet enabled on the PC or if it conflicts with the AP.
easy solution is to give it a fixed IP, also a possibility is to plug the satellite into the WAN port of the main router and let that one supply DHCP to the rest of the devices.

Okeanos281

Prominent
Jan 16, 2020
There is an update so I'll give that a try.
I updated it and nothing changed but there's something weird.

On pc the internet is accessible for like the first 30-40 seconds. I opened up youtube and tested it and i could watch a video. When the internet was gone i could go back to youtube homepage and refresh it without any problems. I couldn't open any other website while the internet was gone but youtube was always accessible. So I tried watching some videos while the internet was gone and I opened a video and the video's page loaded but the video itself couldn't load. I went back to homepage and tried to test something. I took my phone (which had internet connection) and opened up youtube. I saved a random video to one of my playlists and went back to my pc which still had no internet. I opened that playlist and I COULD SEE the video there. So youtube could update the playlist even though there was no internet connection? This made me think the problem could be a software one but even if it is, why would it work while doing these specific things and not while doing anything else?

Okeanos281

Prominent
Jan 16, 2020
you have an address conflict on the PC, can happen if you have both wireless and ethernet enabled on the PC or if it conflicts with the AP.
easy solution is to give it a fixed IP, also a possibility is to plug the satellite into the WAN port of the main router and let that one supply DHCP to the rest of the devices.
By fixed IP do you mean a Static IP? I really don't know these things but I think I'll try that one. I'll also try the WAN port. Thanks

Okeanos281

Prominent
Jan 16, 2020
yes fixed = static, you can set it on the network card or assign one in the router
Sorry, I couldn't do it. I changed my computer's static IP (I tried some IP 's (x.x.1 or x.x.2 orx.x.0) but it couldn't identify the router. Do I have to enable DHCP from router's page to make this work? And if I enable it could I still connect to the router with my phone via wifi? Would the repeater still connect to the router if DHCP was on, or would it only be my pc thats able to connect to the router?
(I'm sorry if I cant express what I'm trying to say. English isn't my first language)

oh wait that's your problem, you shouldn't wire the repeater to the router - that's a mistake. if it's an AP that's fine but a repeater/extender will cause address conflicts if wired to the router. P.S. you can identify the PC's address via ipconfig/all and just configure the card manually based on the gateway listed but seems the first sentence is more relevant to your case. and yes the repeater would work fine, it only delivers signals back to the original SSID provider. The router generating DHCP would do it regardless.

Okeanos281

Prominent
Jan 16, 2020
Well, I still don't exactly know what was causing the problem and I don't know how the thing I did fixed it but it works for now: I unplugged everything then plugged the main router, turned my pc on and turn the repeater on after everything was set. This way both could connect to the internet with no problems. Thanks everyone for trying to help.

Solution