Question I can't control the speed of my 3-pin fan ?

Jan 17, 2024
okay I'll explain.
I have a 3-pin fan (dc signal obviously) and i have a biostarA520mh mb with only 2 fan ports (cpu and sys1, both 4-pins). I have my pwm cpu fan plugged in the cpu port and the 3-pin on sys fan 1. The thing is that i can control my cpu fan speed in the bios but i can't control the 3-pin fan.

I tried to switch the pwm mod to dc mod but I coudn't find that option in my bios. I don't know how i can fix that because my fan is running at 1500rpm and its loud.

If their is any solution or advice pls share
thank u ;p

I tried to switch the pwm mod to dc mod but I coudn't find that option in my bios. I don't know how i can fix that because my fan is running at 1500rpm and its loud.
If their is any solution or advice pls share
If there are no options in BIOS to change fan mode from PWM to DC,
then I guess, you'll have to get a 4pin fan.
They're not that expensive.

Other options would be more expensive -
getting a new motherboard, that supports changing fan mode,​
getting a discrete fan controller supporting 3pin fans.​

Last edited:
I don't know how i can fix that because my fan is running at 1500rpm and its loud
get a nicer PWM fan.
mb with only 2 fan ports...i can control my cpu fan speed in the bios but i can't control the 3-pin fan
sounds like this is just a lower quality board.
it may just not offer that option.

read the user manual regarding the ports and see what it says about fan modes.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
The manual for that mobo does not provide any details of fan header configuration options. However, their Datasheet does speak of a software utility supplied free with the mobo called AI Fan. That should be on a CD with the mobo, and may already be loaded on your hard drive. Find and run that if you can. IT says it offers options of DC or PWM control. If you can find that, set the header with the 3-pin fan to DC mode.