[SOLVED] I can't delete Windows.old with Disk Cleanup, help!

afzal108

Commendable
Feb 5, 2018
Hey guys, I need help with deleting Windows.old folder (+30GB) from my lappy, did follow some steps and ways from forum (any, I took this one - https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-delete-the-windows-old-folder-from-windows-10/ ) but it didn't really help much, because I noticed something is different from my Disk Cleanup than the guide showed me, the Disk Cleanup should show "Previous Windows Installations" which is I didn't upgrade my OS but rather I just updated my Win10 to latest version (two weeks ago) that Microsoft forced me to.... -_-
Anyway, here's the picture Disk Cleanup from the link -
disk-cleanup-previous-installations.jpg

It supposed to have that, but mine's one does not show that -
8KzVZrD.png

So, what do I do? I don't want stuffed up my HDD with these old files.
It would be fantastic with any of ya guys know how to solve this
Tq.

You can do it this way. Execute from elevated command prompt.
(replace c:\foldername with c:\windows.old)
takeown /f c:\foldername /r
icacls c:\foldername /reset /t

After that you can just delete the folder.

Note. Do not run this command on c:\windows. It will mess up your OS and you'll have to reinstall.

Reactions: helper800

Endre

Reputable
Yes. And you fix small cut on your finger by first cutting the finger off completely and regrowing it.

You’re very sarcastic!
But I hear people complaining about tons of errors and disfunctionalities that I’ve never encountered simply because, most of the time I’m reinstalling Windows clean, formatting partitions etc.
Many times going on shortcuts leads you to headaches and more wasted time!

afzal108

Commendable
Feb 5, 2018
You can do it this way. Execute from elevated command prompt.

After that you can just delete the folder.

Note. Do not run this command on c:\windows. It will mess up your OS and you'll have to reinstall.
So I just have to change the "Windows.old" folder to "[whatever name]" right before executing the command right?

So I just have to change the "Windows.old" folder to "[whatever name]" right before executing the command right?
No. You have to change c:\foldername to c:\windows.old
Like this:
takeown /f c:\windows.old /r
icacls c:\windows.old /reset /t

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
Yea that's a bit too much, I did mention that I got the folder after just updated Win10, not after upgrading my OS..

Windows 10 only makes windows.old after version updates, which are essentially inplace upgrades of windows 10 every 6 months, so you did both. Its another reason clean installing windows 10 too often is just wasting your time. I only do it if I have to.

but anyway.

Reactions: Endre