Question i can't determine if its a mobo or a ram issue

Sep 11, 2024
Hello i'm new here, so i was hoping some expert would tell me what i should do about this

i had this issue of the ram being stuck at 1333Mhz/c9 1.5V no matter what i try even lowering freq or adding higher timing does nothing
i was thinking that the ram is somehow forcing its jedec and ignoring any change but then i found this
when i was also trying to undervolt my CPU the settings would not apply in windows its like my bios settings are getting ignored, ik i can use throttlestop but i want to know why my bios is doing this and programs startup isn't consistent.
something to mention is when i was messing around with different settings and stuff and it happens so rarely is that ram would accept running at 1600Mhz
for like 1 boot up and after a while or a hard shutdown it would reset back to 1333 and get stuck i was thinking that somehow it didn't ignore my bios settings that time and then it
does back, unfortunately i didn't get a chance to check if the undervolt did apply too at that time or not,
notes to mention is that its feeling like my bios settings are not getting saved but it is getting saved everytime i enter it they are the same settings and the time is correct so i doubt its a CMOS issue idk if its windows the one ignoring my settings then. also other simple settings do get applied like enabling/disabling CPU virtualization.
i've searched and troubleshooted for days and its starting to get frustrating so any help or guidance would be appreciated.
i tried to run each stick of ram alone still stuck at jedec and xmp does nothing.
im running on latest bios version available.

system specs:
Cpu : i7-4790
Mobo : Asus H81M-C
Ram : 1- 8GB Gskill full specs https://files.fm/thumb_show.php?i=8gpnfqtf4a
2- 8GB Samsung full specs https://files.fm/thumb_show.php?i=2wh2p2nu5a
Gpu : RX580
Psu : Zalman ZM700-TX 80plus

update: this might sound weird but somehow after reupdating the bios with the same version the cpu undervolt is somewhat responding now
it isn't consistent it needs couple of tries with some throttlestop manual resets but it is working for the moment no idea if it will break later, so now i guess its just the ram issue.

Hello i'm new here, so i was hoping some expert would tell me what i should do about this

i had this issue of the ram being stuck at 1333Mhz/c9 1.5V no matter what i try even lowering freq or adding higher timing does nothing
i was thinking that the ram is somehow forcing its jedec and ignoring any change but then i found this
when i was also trying to undervolt my CPU the settings would not apply in windows its like my bios settings are getting ignored, ik i can use throttlestop but i want to know why my bios is doing this and programs startup isn't consistent.
something to mention is when i was messing around with different settings and stuff and it happens so rarely is that ram would accept running at 1600Mhz
for like 1 boot up and after a while or a hard shutdown it would reset back to 1333 and get stuck i was thinking that somehow it didn't ignore my bios settings that time and then it
does back, unfortunately i didn't get a chance to check if the undervolt did apply too at that time or not,
notes to mention is that its feeling like my bios settings are not getting saved but it is getting saved everytime i enter it they are the same settings and the time is correct so i doubt its a CMOS issue idk if its windows the one ignoring my settings then. also other simple settings do get applied like enabling/disabling CPU virtualization.
i've searched and troubleshooted for days and its starting to get frustrating so any help or guidance would be appreciated.
i tried to run each stick of ram alone still stuck at jedec and xmp does nothing.

system specs:
Cpu : i7-4790
Ram : 1- 8GB Gskill full specs https://files.fm/thumb_show.php?i=8gpnfqtf4a
2- 8GB Samsung full specs https://files.fm/thumb_show.php?i=2wh2p2nu5a
Gpu : RX580

update: this might sound weird but somehow after reupdating the bios with the same version the cpu undervolt is somewhat responding now
it isn't consistent it needs couple of tries with some throttlestop manual resets but it is working for the moment no idea if it will break later, so now i guess its just the ram issue.
Replace your 2032 battery in motherboard old motherboard the battery is probly near end of its life it won't retain settings.

Also to run xmp and duel channel you must have a kit or pair do not use 2 different vendors even if they are both cl16 the individual timings before that will cause instability or different ram chips.

Lutfij

Titan
Couple of things wrong with your build.

That's a low end unit. How old is the PSU in your build?

Ram : 1- 8GB Gskill full specs , 2- 8GB Samsung full specs
Stop mixing and matching sticks of ram. Think of rams like you would with a pair of sneakers, you can wear two different sneakers on either of your feet but all it'd do is make you look silly.

+
What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard?

Seems to me like your BIOS is corrupt. Reflash the BIOS, but this time after you've verified that the BIOS is flashed to the latest version, clear the CMOS. Do so by disconnecting from the wall and display, remove the CMOS battery, then press and hold down the power button for 30secs, then replace the CMOS battery after 30mins.

Sep 11, 2024
Replace your 2032 battery in motherboard old motherboard the battery is probly near end of its life it won't retain settings.

Also to run xmp and duel channel you must have a kit or pair do not use 2 different vendors even if they are both cl16 the individual timings before that will cause instability or different ram chips.
i'll buy another CMOS and try if what Lutfij suggested below doesn't work
i know mixing 2 ram isn't ideal but xmp also didn't accept having the gskill alone or any settings.

Sep 11, 2024
Couple of things wrong with your build.

That's a low end unit. How old is the PSU in your build?

Ram : 1- 8GB Gskill full specs , 2- 8GB Samsung full specs
Stop mixing and matching sticks of ram. Think of rams like you would with a pair of sneakers, you can wear two different sneakers on either of your feet but all it'd do is make you look silly.

+
What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard?

Seems to me like your BIOS is corrupt. Reflash the BIOS, but this time after you've verified that the BIOS is flashed to the latest version, clear the CMOS. Do so by disconnecting from the wall and display, remove the CMOS battery, then press and hold down the power button for 30secs, then replace the CMOS battery after 30mins.
well for the Psu it's really old but so far i don't think it has caused me any problems or random shutdowns

for the ram yea i know but i didn't really have much options but i'll resort to as a final option to replace them with something better that works stock that won't need xmp

mobo bios version is
H81M-C BIOS 3602
Version 3602
5.14 MB
2018/04/14
it is the latest thing available on asus website

reflashing bios and CMOS i'll try this right away but is there other way to do it correct as when i tried flashing using asus ez flash utlility i don't think it actually did it as updating took only seconds and it said it has finished
also would clearing CMOS before and after makes any difference as a cleaner flash/ install ?