Sep 27, 2022
3060 not using full usage
low gpu usage for no reason

I have a RTX 3060 for my gpu

i5 11400f for my cpu

16gb 2X8 3200mhz CL22 XMP enabled ram

500W PSU I do not reach the limit of the PSU at all

n50-620 motherboard

Most games at the highest settings use 99% usage but when I lower settings in any game my GPU usage goes down and I don't gain much fps. I only gain 5 fps from changing Ultra to medium in most games. How do I fix my GPU so it actually gives fps when I lower settings?

3060 not using full usage
low gpu usage for no reason

I have a RTX 3060 for my gpu

i5 11400f for my cpu

16gb 2X8 3200mhz CL22 XMP enabled ram

500W PSU I do not reach the limit of the PSU at all

n50-620 motherboard

Most games at the highest settings use 99% usage but when I lower settings in any game my GPU usage goes down and I don't gain much fps. I only gain 5 fps from changing Ultra to medium in most games. How do I fix my GPU so it actually gives fps when I lower settings?
overclock cpu to get more frames per second, gpu will run as fast as cpu allows it

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
The thing with FPS is that the CPU is responsible for generating the maximum possible FPS because it's the thing telling the GPU what to do. Lowering the graphics settings means you're giving less work to the GPU, which means it gets done sooner and if the CPU isn't ready by the time it's done to receive another render command, it's going to idle.

If you want faster FPS at lower graphics settings, you need a better performing CPU.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Put a nail into the wall with a hammer for a picture. You will use every muscle in your hand to hold the hammer. You will use every muscle in your wrist to control the hammer. You'll use every muscle in your arm to swing the hammer. What you will Not use is All the power in those muscles to hold, control, swing the hammer because it's drywall, not concrete. You don't need a death grip on the hammer, your wrist doesn't need to be locked up rigid and you don't need to swing as hard as you possibly can.

That's usage. The cpu will use everything it needs to to create the frames, and not a bit more, because it doesn't need to. The gpu will use everything it needs to to create the picture, and not a bit more.

Your fps is whatever the cpu creates and sends to the gpu. If the gpu is capable of 100fps at Ultra, and 200fps at Medium, but the cpu only sends 100fps, you could move it to Low and still only get 100fps. Ppl call that a cpu bottleneck, but in reality it's not as the cpu is the Source of fps, it is what it is, adding an overpowered gpu doesn't mean it needs to create more fps to make you happy.

And that will change with different games and different resolutions, different gpu settings like RTX etc.

You don't want to be anywhere near 100% usage for either cpu or gpu. That means they have no resources left to use, so Any more complicated scenarios, like explosions or fireballs or huge fields of grass are going to do only 1 thing. Kill fps as fps is frames per second and if they need to do more, it's going to take longer per frame. The longer it takes, the less frames are completed in a second, fps plummets. Ideally you'd be better in the 50-70% range at most, so there is resource headroom to take the complicated hits and not slow down to any large degree.

0Ware

Prominent
Sep 27, 2022
Put a nail into the wall with a hammer for a picture. You will use every muscle in your hand to hold the hammer. You will use every muscle in your wrist to control the hammer. You'll use every muscle in your arm to swing the hammer. What you will Not use is All the power in those muscles to hold, control, swing the hammer because it's drywall, not concrete. You don't need a death grip on the hammer, your wrist doesn't need to be locked up rigid and you don't need to swing as hard as you possibly can.

That's usage. The cpu will use everything it needs to to create the frames, and not a bit more, because it doesn't need to. The gpu will use everything it needs to to create the picture, and not a bit more.

Your fps is whatever the cpu creates and sends to the gpu. If the gpu is capable of 100fps at Ultra, and 200fps at Medium, but the cpu only sends 100fps, you could move it to Low and still only get 100fps. Ppl call that a cpu bottleneck, but in reality it's not as the cpu is the Source of fps, it is what it is, adding an overpowered gpu doesn't mean it needs to create more fps to make you happy.

And that will change with different games and different resolutions, different gpu settings like RTX etc.

You don't want to be anywhere near 100% usage for either cpu or gpu. That means they have no resources left to use, so Any more complicated scenarios, like explosions or fireballs or huge fields of grass are going to do only 1 thing. Kill fps as fps is frames per second and if they need to do more, it's going to take longer per frame. The longer it takes, the less frames are completed in a second, fps plummets. Ideally you'd be better in the 50-70% range at most, so there is resource headroom to take the complicated hits and not slow down to any large degree.

the CPU to some extent should be a bottleneck but not as bad as mine. Ive seen people in benchmark videos with a 3060 and 11400f actually gain a reasonable amount of fps when the settings are lowered in different games.

the CPU to some extent should be a bottleneck but not as bad as mine. Ive seen people in benchmark videos with a 3060 and 11400f actually gain a reasonable amount of fps when the settings are lowered in different games.
I can’t say how much it will impact performance but a CL of 22 is really slow for 3200mhz RAM. RAM performance can have a different amount of impact depending on the game but this may explain why you don’t achieve the same as others.

Try running userbenchmark and share the public link to the results. It may or may not highlight any possible issues.

0Ware

Prominent
Sep 27, 2022
I can’t say how much it will impact performance but a CL of 22 is really slow for 3200mhz RAM. RAM performance can have a different amount of impact depending on the game but this may explain why you don’t achieve the same as others.

Try running userbenchmark and share the public link to the results. It may or may not highlight any possible issues.

here https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/56072396

0Ware

Prominent
Sep 27, 2022
You have very high background cpu usage. Did you have other programs open when running? If other programs are hogging cpu resources that will impact gaming performance.

CPU usage idle with opera gx and discord in the background is 7% and when gaming goes to 40%
no there is nothing hogging the CPU

You really do not want to see 100% usage of either cpu or gpu.
If you did, it would represent a factor that limits higher performance.
From your tests, I suspect that you are playing games that are cpu limited.
It may be that some of your background tasks are higher priority which will limit the capability of the cpu.

CPU-Z will identify the make/model of the motherboard used in your Acer n50-620 pc.
From that you can get what cpu options are available to you.
Probably, the strongest available upgrade would be a $240 i7-11700K
https://www.newegg.com/intel-core-i...=11700k-_-19-118-233-_-Product&quicklink=true
Probably, a better cooler would be in order also.

0Ware

Prominent
Sep 27, 2022
You really do not want to see 100% usage of either cpu or gpu.
If you did, it would represent a factor that limits higher performance.
From your tests, I suspect that you are playing games that are cpu limited.
It may be that some of your background tasks are higher priority which will limit the capability of the cpu.

CPU-Z will identify the make/model of the motherboard used in your Acer n50-620 pc.
From that you can get what cpu options are available to you.
Probably, the strongest available upgrade would be a $240 i7-11700K
https://www.newegg.com/intel-core-i...=11700k-_-19-118-233-_-Product&quicklink=true
Probably, a better cooler would be in order also.

I only get 40% cpu usage during gaming so no need

0Ware

Prominent
Sep 27, 2022
You can be cpu limited even when the cpu is nowhere near 100%. Games often cannot use or all threads or are bad at distributing the load equally across all used cores/threads. It only takes 1 thread near 100% to limit performance even if others are idle.

as I said this happens to any game I play

as I said this happens to any game I play
And as I said it is often the case. I am not saying you definitely have a cpu limitation but I also don’t see any evidence you don’t.

Bob.B gave good advice for rerunning userbenchmark. What we do know is the first time you ran it you had very high background cpu usage and you have relatively slow RAM. Both can impede cpu performance in games.

0Ware

Prominent
Sep 27, 2022
And as I said it is often the case. I am not saying you definitely have a cpu limitation but I also don’t see any evidence you don’t.

Bob.B gave good advice for rerunning userbenchmark. What we do know is the first time you ran it you had very high background cpu usage and you have relatively slow RAM. Both can impede cpu performance in games.

I know the ram is a massive factor in this swapping it is probably my best choice. I will also remove an antivirus that is probably causing the cpu to slow down