Question I cant fit my WD Black into my second x16 slot anymore

harrystam

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2015
Long story short: My internal WD black storage device will no longer fit. This specific device :

"WD Black 2TB AN1500 NVMe SSD Add-in-Card"​

Can i pop it into a smaller pciex1 slot or do i need an external enclosure?

I'm using this board:

ASUS ROG Strix B550-A Gaming AMD AM4​

Any input is appreciated
Thanks

Long story short: My internal WD black storage device will no longer fit. This specific device :
"WD Black 2TB AN1500 NVMe SSD Add-in-Card"
Can i pop it into a smaller pciex1 slot or do i need an external enclosure?
Why wouldn't it fit?
Can you show any photos illustrating your problem?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Put it in upper PCIE x16 slot of your motherboard.
The card requires PCIE x8 connection for full bandwidth.
So no - it would make no sense putting it into x1 slot.

Lutfij

Titan
I cant fit my WD Black into my second x16 slot anymore
rog-strix-b550-a-03-500x500-1-1.jpg-500x500.jpg.webp

Your board has 2 full length PCIe sots, what's populating them both? As for the shorter slots, no you can't use them for the add-on card.

harrystam

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2015
Why wouldn't it fit?
Can you show any photos illustrating your problem?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Put it in upper PCIE x16 slot of your motherboard.
The card requires PCIE x8 connection for full bandwidth.
So no - it would make no sense putting it into x1 slot.
I got a 4080 and it covers up the x16 slot very well.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Or change out your chassis for one with enough room to vertical mount the GPU, and that has space for an additional expansion card.

All quite expensive options, as such cases are about $200 minimum. But a GPU waterblock is about 150+ these days, plus the radiator, pump, res, fittings, and tubing. But once you have it you can re-use them for a good while.

harrystam

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2015
Or change out your chassis for one with enough room to vertical mount the GPU, and that has space for an additional expansion card.

All quite expensive options, as such cases are about $200 minimum. But a GPU waterblock is about 150+ these days, plus the radiator, pump, res, fittings, and tubing. But once you have it you can re-use them for a good while.
I have a phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 full tower. It has a side mount. I'll have to do some testing to see if it fits

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Don't feel bad, made the same mistake with a GTX580 back in the day. Triple slot when that was really quite big, worked fine as long as I didn't want to use my other x16 slot. Spacing changed to the 3-slot spacing of today after that, but here we are again with 3.75 slot cards.

harrystam

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2015
Don't feel bad, made the same mistake with a GTX580 back in the day. Triple slot when that was really quite big, worked fine as long as I didn't want to use my other x16 slot. Spacing changed to the 3-slot spacing of today after that, but here we are again with 3.75 slot cards.
View: https://imgur.com/YQirb4f

I honestly dont know if the vertical mount will work

Latest posts