Question I can't OC my 8700k to 4.7 ghz

Sep 15, 2019
Hey I have an 8700k that I have been trying to OC to 4.7 GHz for the last couple of days. I tried so many voltages for 4.7 GHz and this is what happened. From 1.260 to 1.275 my PC was crashing when I was running Intel burn test it was crashing when testing. From 1.275 to 1.310 v it didn't crash but burn test said it was unstable. Didn't even try to go over 1.310 v. I can only be stable at 4.5 GHz. It is really crazy. I tried alot of things that people told me. Someone told me that my CPU cache might be degrading. IDK what that means but im just putting some ideas on the table. If someone can help me that would be amazing.
Thanks,
Anthony
T

Sep 15, 2019
Here is a link from within this Forum that should help:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/overclocking-i7-8700k-what-voltage-etc.3357627/

Read carefully and proceed accordingly but do so carefully.

If you are not sure about something then post further information and question as appropriate.
Ok I have a question. On the other post they are saying to start at 1.260 v. I tried every voltage to 1.350 and Intel burner test said that it was always unstable.

Sep 15, 2019
Update this thread to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Include PSU. Make, model, wattage, age, and condition.

I am thinking that power may be the culprit.

The additional system information may lead to other ideas and suggestions.
I posted it do you think it may be my components?

Ralston18

Titan
Yes.

It could be your components.

However that may only be true under two conditions:

1) Those components are truly supported.

2) The system is correctly configured with respect to those components.

There is still more diagnostic work you can do.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes and warnings logged at the time of the crashes.

That information may help narrow down the causes of the crashes being experienced.

And, more frankly, ignore the Intel burn tests.

Just work with whatever OC you wish to apply.

First go back to some baseline configuration where everything works.

Then work upwards changing only one variable at a time. If and when the problem reappears you will know what threshold you hit and then that threshold limit (whatever it is) can be addressed.