I can't screen record with anything! Help! cpu/gpu problem??

Sep 10, 2018
So I just bought this laptop, and I have an annoying issue with it:
Dell Inspiron 15 7567 8GB Ram 256GB SSD No HDD, Intel Core i5 7300HQ, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050TI, and etc.
however, I have this problem with the laptop that no one else has ever had before, confirmed after hours of research to fix this problem.

I cannot record at all, no matter what software or application. I think this has something to do with either the CPU or GPU, or both...
I tried obs, but the preview screen is black and records a black screen. I've tried Action Mirillis, sometimes it works, but when it does, it crashes my applications like Minecraft or fortnight; but when it doesn't work, it just doesn't start to record

Nvidia's own recording application from the GeForce experience keeps saying "A supported game is required to use this feature", no matter whether I'm playing a game or not. Windows Xbox recorder/capture just records for a few seconds, and then it says that my recording has failed.

Therefore, there is absolutely no way I am able to record on my laptop, and this is really frustrating because sometimes I want to get some clips of my gaming experiences, or etc.

My last two options are to either do a system restore (keep in mind that this laptop is new, I bought it a few days ago, and I've never changed any settings related to the pc itself or CPU/GPU). If the system restore/factory reset doesn't work, I'd have to return it or replace it from amazon.

Does anyone have a clue for how I can fix this recording problem or any solutions? My drivers are all up to date, I've even created a second user account to see if the same problem applies to all user accounts or the whole laptop in general...

Thank you for reading my concern.

I'm wondering, have you ever used any of this software to record anything before, on another computer? Or is this all new to you? Also, did you test OBS with other software, like trying to record a web browser window, or did you only try games?

edit: I realize you wrote 'no matter the software or app' but I'm wondering specifically which ones you tried.

edit 2: Can you use something like MSI Afterburner to see what your CPU and GPU usage is like when running a game? I'm wondering if your laptop is getting overwhelmed by the load.

budgetgamer12345

Respectable
Sep 8, 2017

^^^this!

I think the 256GB SSD is just not enough space to store your OS,games,other programs and screen recordings. I think you need to buy a seperate HDD for your game recordings and also games for the future.

Sep 10, 2018

no, it requires the min space to save the recording, which each recording usually isn't larger than a few gigs

Sep 10, 2018

All the recording applications/softwares I've tried are all familiar to me and I've used them before, and I still use them on my desktop. The main problem for me is that OBS's recording preview is pitch black, and records nothing but black (no matter what scene or recording setting you add), and action won't record without crashing minecraft, or not saving the recording in general
(I usually play minecraft, and sometime I'd like to upload some videos featuring my pov in the competive games), from the task manager, it shows that my gpu/gpu usage is around 40% when running minecraft

Sep 10, 2018

when I try recording using geforce experience, (alt+z for nvidia PCs), it would always say "A supported game is required to use this feature", even if I do have a "supported game", or any game running such as minecraft or fortnite

I haven't ever been able to record on this laptop yet, even xbox capture fails to record after the first few seconds of starting the recording...

Sep 10, 2018

and no, this isn't new to me. The thing is that I cannot start recording at all, and for obs, it just records a black screen.
and whenever I have a specific recording software up like Action! Mirillis, it just crashes minecraft whether recording or not.
the crashing part would most likely be resolved if I would even be able to record in the first place.

when u press alt+z to bring up shadowplay menu, click on settings, scroll down to bottom, there should be smt like privacy (i dont have it in eng) and enable that
try recording now it should record anything u see, u dont need to be in any game, pure desktop will do

Sep 10, 2018

I have over 70GB of ssd left, and I tried both recording in 1080p and 720p

There is nothing wrong with my recording output settings.

Sep 10, 2018

Thanks for the response! I'll try doing that when I get home, though I don't think it would work anyway considering I haven't had any recording software/application work yet, and spent hours trying to fix this D:

Nope, I don't have anything like that at all, I've checked all the settings. No privacy tab as well.
Thanks anyway!

Laptops are finicky about video drivers because they have to switch between two of them depending on the task at hand.
Only use video drivers from the manufacturer.
At the moment all your recording software pick up black screens because they try to record from the iGPU that isn't doing anything.

budgetgamer12345

Respectable
Sep 8, 2017

^^^ This can be possible.

Disable the integrated graphics at Device Manager when you are screen recording.

Sep 10, 2018

By the way, I think this is an issue with my drivers, because my laptop works blazing fast (as its a gaming laptop) in general, but when it comes to video-related things like screen recording or video editing (both vegas pro 14, vegas pro 15, and windows movie maker), it just either freezes, works slowly, or doesn't work.

Video recording, even with the windows 10 xbox recorder will have a recording error, and I can edit videos quite smoothly, but from time to time, the editing program just crashes, or the video preview just starts to run poorly. It's really annoying.

I really don't think I can find a solution online, my best hopes are to take my laptop to a technician or what